slotperfect

Does Anybody Know Darrin De Reus?

I sent the following email to the seller:

Hello. I am a longtime skydiver, and I would like to point something out that you may not know. A skydiver's logbook is a permanent and most times irreplaceable record of training, license and instructional rating requirements, and skydiving experience. Losing a logbook to a skydiver is worse than losing a wallet full of cash and credit cards. I have no idea how you came to be in possession of this fellow's logbook, but through his US Parachute Association membership records I can track him down so it can be returned to him. Is it possible for you to help him get his skydiving history back without someone having to buy it?

Arrive Safely

John

People will do anything for a buck. Most people don't understand that a logbook to a skydiver is right up there in importance with the bible to a holy roller.

Nice of you to make an effort to help. I hope you get it back to the owner.

People will do anything for a buck.

Here I go speculating, but . . . the guy may have bought it at a flea market.

From his "eBay Stores" listing:

WILE-E'S JUNK AND STUFF buys from local "Estate Auctions" and sells to Ebayers at a great price. All things sold on Ebay are sold "as is", and believed to be working by us. If the item is mis-represented, please contact us on a peaceful solution. We are very friendly and agreeable.

I hope this means my email will be successful.
Arrive Safely

John

OK - I found out a few things.

He is (or was) an Air Force Staff Sergeant, and jumped at Cal City while he was staitoned at Edwards AFB. He may have been trained there as well.

He was living in Ohio at some point when the logbook came into the seller's hands through the "flea market" (or similar) process.

USPA was a dead-end, as his membership is not current.

I will see if I can talk the seller out of it for the cost of shipping. I will email Cal City and the DZs in Ohio near the seller. Maybe someone has a line on him there.
Arrive Safely

John

I was wondering why someone would buy a logbook with only 100 jumps... If the skydiver was very famous, wouldn't it be given away to someone special??? So I went to the site:

Up for auction: IS A LOGBOOK THAT BELONGED TO DARRIN L. DE REUS, EDWARDS, CA. THIS IS A LOGBOOK RECORDING SKYDIVING ACCOMPLISHMENTS. ONLY 1/3 THE PAGES HAVE BEEN USED. IF YOU ARE GETTING READY TO BE A SKYDIVER THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED. THERE ARE PLENTY OF PAGES NOT USED.

Now, that is a wierd logic process. Buy a logbook for more than retail price so you can use the second 2/3 for your own jumps??? Sometimes things make me laugh.

Well...better late then never folks. I am Darrin DeReus and I did lose my book. I just happened upon this site while googling my name on a whim.

Well...I'm retired from the AF now...but can't believe someone took my book and actually auctioned it off on ebay. Geesh. AT that time I was a US AF Test Parachutist and went through HALO school and then worked at Edwards AFB before being commissioned and moving into finance/cost estimating. Had a great career and glad you all at least looked for me! You did find me...just...oh...8 years too late. ;)

This thread is an interesting chain of events. I hope you get your logbook back...

darrindereus

Well...better late then never folks. I am Darrin DeReus and I did lose my book. I just happened upon this site while googling my name on a whim.

Well...I'm retired from the AF now...but can't believe someone took my book and actually auctioned it off on ebay. Geesh. AT that time I was a US AF Test Parachutist and went through HALO school and then worked at Edwards AFB before being commissioned and moving into finance/cost estimating. Had a great career and glad you all at least looked for me! You did find me...just...oh...8 years too late. ;)