Neuling

Fast opening parachute

Hi

I would like to do a paragliding license and most of the guys using there as a reserve parachute a round parachute.
I don't like the thought, that i have a reserve parachute, which i can't handle. So why not use a fast opening parachute. Or is there such a big diffrent in the opening time of a round reserve parachute and a normal one?

Thank you

Round parachutes are less likely to spin and foul in whatever mess you have that made you use it. Add a ram-air parachute to an existing wad of crap, and you're more likely to die. The opening times of rounds and squares are the same. But it's not about deployment time - it's about safety. If you can't handle a round parachute, then you shouldn't be paragliding. Besides, there's nothing much to handle with them - they're easier than a ram-air. If you can handle a ram-air, then a round is nothing to worry about.

Note, dear readers, that this is about paragliding. I'm not criticizing the use of square reserve parachutes in skydiving operations.

I have no idea why they do it, but I would guess one of the reasons could be that a round is more reliable in a emergency situation with a para-glider. I mean a round is basically just a massive drogue which relies on creating drag where as a ram-air parachute needs to inflate and remain flying to decelerate the person. I don't know if a para-glider can be cutway but I'm under the impression they can't be, so it would be more convenient to have a round in an emergency with a para-glider.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Hmmm ok and if i could cut the paragliding chute. ( i'm also thinking about to fly a little bit with a kite. There it would be easy to off the kite)

How long would it take to open a fast opening parachute? At the point i would get off the parachute/kite, the speed would be probanly almost zero.

Many paragliding reserve use situations are low... Ridge flying requires you to be "close" to the ridge to get lift. Thus, too low to go into freefall once the PG becomes a ball crap. A square would fight the still out PG, and could do all sorts of bad things like downplanes, etc. The technique in Paragliding reserve use is to throw the reserve into open air and then pull in your PG if you have time.

I suppose you could have two reserves - one for when you have over 1000 feet of altitude and are willing to go into freefall/have some sort of Skyhook.... Another for when you are lower (which will be the majority of the time you are flying).