MakeItHappen

CYPRES Activation Alititude

Scrumpot

***When you do an "Altitude Correction" on a Vigil, the offset only affects the top number of the firing window not the bottom.

Are you absolutely certain of this? ...

Isn't the "bottom" where the unit then says "jump is over, so now start looking to see if we take off again"? If so, then (for example) if you programed in a 1000ft offset because you take off at sea level but plan to land at 1000ft, then the unit will never reach the point (300ft MSL) where it concludes that the jump is over.

Or does the Vigil have other ways to detect the end of the jump to exit "jump mode".

Scrumpot

When you do an "Altitude Correction" on a Vigil, the offset only affects the top number of the firing window not the bottom.

Are you absolutely certain of this? Aren't you really though, just telling the unit that "the ground at my landing zone is XX feet higher (or lower) than where I took off" - so the NET affect is that the unit will also interpret 300ft AGL (the bottom end) just that much higher (or lower) as a result too? I just want to be SURE, absolutely clear is all - so this is a QUESTION, not a "challenge".

TIA for all the granular/detailed information & consideration(s) being shared on here!

EDIT TO ADD: P.S. - I am/was referring to the Cypres (the title of the thread). I note however you are referring in your response though - to the Vigil. So they may be different, and I understand that. Again - just to be absolutely sure we are all perfectly clear. - THANKS!!

Based on your edit and P.S. - It sounds as though you are speaking of the Cypres and not the Vigil - correct?

If you are questioning my data on the Vigil (which by the way is not only welcome but encouraged) then yes, I am absolutely certain about that of which I speak. Should you request my sources (besides the manual), I will provide them.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Divalent

******When you do an "Altitude Correction" on a Vigil, the offset only affects the top number of the firing window not the bottom.

Are you absolutely certain of this? ...

Isn't the "bottom" where the unit then says "jump is over, so now start looking to see if we take off again"? If so, then (for example) if you programed in a 1000ft offset because you take off at sea level but plan to land at 1000ft, then the unit will never reach the point (300ft MSL) where it concludes that the jump is over.

Or does the Vigil have other ways to detect the end of the jump to exit "jump mode".

I think I understand what you are asking but not 100% certain. So here goes.

First - it's important to understand that the Vigil and (to my understanding) all AADs use AGL and not MSL. Just like our altimeters which we set to zero on the ground we as skydivers only care about AGL not MSL. So to avoid further confusion I will speak only in terms of AGL.

Wherever you turn on your Vigil you have established "Ground Zero" (regardless of MSL). Regardless of plane, balloon or even a car -once the unit climbs past 150 feet AGL it goes into "Airborne Mode" . It will stay in "airborne mode" until it returns to the same site (via barometric pressure readings) such as landing your parachute at the DZ or even landing with the plane (jump is over).

"Airborne Mode" means: it thinks it's in flight and will continue to think this until it once again reaches "Ground Zero". This is why if you take off from one location and jump at another with a big difference in elevation you may want to consider an "Altitude Correction" for the new landing site. This is also why Vigil suggests you shut down your Vigil before driving home, especially if you live in an area of dramatic elevation change (150 feet or more) from the DZ.

Older Vigils will stay on past 14 hours if they are in "Airborne Mode" newer Vigils will shut down 14 hours after start-up regardless of airborne staus.

If you think you will jump beyond the 14 hour mark (such as night jumps) it is recommended you shut down your Vigil and then turn it back on.

From the manual >
IMPORTANT: Vigil II® units with Serial #8021 to Serial # 26171 (main software 2.49 or lower) will shut down
after 14 hours, unless the Vigil II® is not measuring the switch on pressure or its “ground zero” reference
(at ±150ft or ± 46m). In this case the Vigil will stay in “airborne mode” and will not switch off, even after
14 hours.
A Vigil II® unit with Serial #26172 or higher (main software 2.50 or higher) will shut down after 14 hours,
whether it is in “airborne mode” or not. Therefore, it is recommended to switch off such Vigil II® units after
the last jump of the day!

I hope this helps clarify and not further confuse.