npgraphicdesign

Iron-on or sewn-on patches?

Hey y'all,
I'm creating some custom designs for a few skydivers, and was wondering if anyone here has ever used an iron-on patches for their jumpsuit or rig. Or do you get them sewn/embroidered when you purchase your equipment?

If anyone has ever dealt with applying patches to your jumpsuit or rig after it has been ordered, I would love to get some information from you! :)

I've applied lots of patches to jumpsuits, none to rigs. I don't trust iron-on for skydiving, and always do some zig-zag stitching around the perimeter. It looks better, too.

So make the outside perimeter some normal color, that people are likely to have in their sewing kits.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Applying patches to rigs is problematic. A lot of places people want them either require some deconstruction or sewing through multiple layers and stiffeners. i.e. mud flap or reserve pin protector.

Most of the stuff you see today is embroidery done on the components before assembly. Back in the olden days people were more into patches and they were often sewn on. One popular place was the pop top cap on a racer. The other was the hole worn in the container getting drug. There wasn't as much fabric and as many places in the old days.

Even on the main container I'd consult with an experienced rigger (read old but current;)) and/or the manufacturer. I'd certainly NOT start punching holes in stiffeners with a needle just to apply a patch.

These days if I really wanted something on a rig I'd probably consider having it embroidered by the manf. and the flap replaced. Iron on for the really tough to sew spots would probably work as long as it was industrial strength. I had an ambulance patch on a shirt that I wanted to remove and it was a pain getting that off, even heating it. But recognize that you sticking something on a $2000 piece of equipment that somebody might want to sell in the future. A little different than a $20 shirt or a $100 jacket.

On jumpsuits I agree with Wendy that I'd use the iron on to position it but sew it on. This is where having a free arm home maching comes in handy.;) And the 12 color thread sets that DJ used to sell.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

npgraphicdesign

Hey y'all,
I'm creating some custom designs for a few skydivers, and was wondering if anyone here has ever used an iron-on patches for their jumpsuit or rig. Or do you get them sewn/embroidered when you purchase your equipment?

If anyone has ever dealt with applying patches to your jumpsuit or rig after it has been ordered, I would love to get some information from you! :)

I tried once applying iron on patches on my jumpsuit but it didn't turn out quit well. You have to set the iron on high setting to make the designs stick well. I got tips on applying on www.irononpatches.info. There are some cool designs displayed on the site.

What you really need to sew repairs/struckural patches or logo patches on a jump suit is...

http://salestores.com/yafyonenepol.html?gclid=COqOurXY5LkCFUVp7AodiU8A5g#.UkHdimEo59A

It's way, and I mean WAY better then a "free arm" sewing machine. I do have both and my industrial "free arm" just gathers dust. The key is that you can sew length wise down the sleeve as easily as you can sew around. Not the case with "free arms"

This gets a bit ramblely but Skip to the end to hear about the wonders of the post bed.

Example: Niki. Tom, my old business partner at the shop had this trophy girl friend at the drop zone. Oh my god what a pain in the ass. High matinance doesn't even come close. But let's face it Tom wasn't exactly A list if you know what I mean. It was his one chance in life at some thing that hot. So the projects start. I never realized how much work a girl friend could be. This was way worse then any sports car, hell my airplane need a hell of a lot less matanance.

The Tiger suit. She got this jump suit used from the internet. It's not what you think. It was perfect. I mean it fit her like a glove. She can order custom suits for the rest of her life and she will never, ever have one that fit as well as this $100 gem that she lucked into. It was black which she liked but it had Purple grippers... which she didn't like. Any one else would just thank there lucky stars and learn to love it. No. So Tom is pressured to "fix" it. He's a new rigger he can fix any thing right? So he get's the idea in his head to Dye it. Yah, no shit he tried to die it black. Don't laugh. It worked. It was a perfect black jump suit all that she could hope for, except...it shrunk. There was a lot of spandex so it wasn't too bad but there are some demensions that just don't have any give. Guess who got to rebuild it.

So All was good then comes the next chapter. She decides that she is a tiger. A 98 lb tiger but she decides that that is her... inner being. She want's a tiger suit. She decides that her jump suit must have furry tiger stripe fabric for all of her grippers. Comp stile suit with long grippers every where. Did I mention her weight. She was so skinny that she made the old model, Twiggy, look fat. The jump suit was just as bad. Skinny arms, skinny legs, etc. So Tom had been giving me shit about buying more sewing machines including my brand new post bed. So I decided this was the perfect time to introduce tom to it. We actually replaced the grippers, arms, legs, every thing with out taking the suit apart. I cheated and just pulled what stiches I could and cut the grippers off at the seam. But the point is that we were able to sew completely new grippers, indistinguishable from the original Body Suit design onto the existing jump suit on the legs and arms that were only about a three inch diameter tube. Tom was a convert after that and I had cart blanch to buy any sewing machines I wanted. In retrospect it was worth the investment in time. And for the record Tom did do at least some of the work on that one but I wound up doing the arms in the end. Did I mention that it had a tail and a helmet with tiger ears? The point is that with a post bed you can reach inside any thing and sew in any direction. Patch on an elbow? No problem. Knees are nothing.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com