1 1
RPJ

Hip dislocation and Sky diving

I had a hip dislocation about 8 years ago and am trying sky diving for the very first time next week. I have recovered fully, hpowever, I was wondering if there is anything IS hould worry about as there is a huge difference in pressure and ofcourse the hard landing with the parachute. Please let me know if anybody has tried this. And please note it is not a hip replacement it is a hip dislocation.

23 hours ago, RPJ said:

sky diving for the very first time

I'm just guessing here that you are going to be (a) a tandem student/passenger rather than (b) a solo/AFF level 1 skydiver. There is a difference between the landing routines on (a) and (b). If you are attached to an instructor who takes you for the jump/ride on a tandem (a) the former type of jump, the instructor controls that landing with certain input from you, the student/passenger, and you are going to have to lift your legs up high for the landing. Tandem landings are typically, although not always, slid in on your butt. If you can't lift your legs with ease as you will be instructed, you might want to have a second think about attempting the ride. Although 99% of tandem landings work out ideally, I've seen some that don't. If you are doing the latter (b) solo/AFF jump you'll be landing on your own, controlling the landing/flare via radio comms. from your instructor. Solo AFF student canopies are big and forgiving and you 'should' have a relatively soft landing given that AFF students only jump in pretty clement conditions and you are also talked down by your main instructor. There is likely to be some leg shock on landing whatever the situation and if you can't PLF (that's a sort of landing roll like you see the paratroopers do in the movies) or are bothered about doing one in an emergency, you should also have a second think about it. Although I don't have the inside line on joint dislocations of any type, my understanding is that, although they may seem repaired, another one is always just waiting for the wrong conditions. If you have any doubts, don't jump. Disclaimer: As with all skydiving/medical situations, the only people to advise you whether or not to jump are your instructors and a medically qualified Doctor. Don't take what I have said as gospel. I am neither a tandem instructor nor a Doctor nor do I have experience of dislocations.