corpkid

2nd Jump (AFF) - Hard Opening?

First jump went great and had a nice soft opening under a 280 student rig. Great comfortable ride down.

Second jump, not so much. I yanked the pilot out and about 2 seconds later it felt like my legs were going to be severed. Hurt like hell and left a really nasty looking bruise on each side of my inner thighs.

I'm just wondering, being a new diver how often does this happen and is there anything I can do to avoid it? I had really good body position and heading so I don't think it was anything I did? Hurt bad enough for me to ask here how to avoid it and I'm jumping tomorrow and am NOT looking forward to putting the rig on given how my crotch feels. LOL

Thanks....

corpkid

First jump went great and had a nice soft opening under a 280 student rig. Great comfortable ride down.

Second jump, not so much. I yanked the pilot out and about 2 seconds later it felt like my legs were going to be severed. Hurt like hell and left a really nasty looking bruise on each side of my inner thighs.

I'm just wondering, being a new diver how often does this happen and is there anything I can do to avoid it? I had really good body position and heading so I don't think it was anything I did? Hurt bad enough for me to ask here how to avoid it and I'm jumping tomorrow and am NOT looking forward to putting the rig on given how my crotch feels. LOL

Thanks....

The best way to have a higher chance of a better opening is to pack the canopy yourself. "No one loves you more than you".

I'd mention it to the packers/rigger first off -- they can't try to do anything that they might be able to do if they don't know there's a problem.

Second I'd suggest always logging stuff like that about which rental gear you were on when it happened. That way if there's a pattern you might see it emerge when you're looking through your logs. There was a particular Sabre 2 that used to spank me whenever I rent it. I have several hard openings logged on that thing. At some point the rigger there changed the line trim for problems other people had reported and I stopped having any problems with the canopy after he did that. Logging it also lets you choose the rental rig that never gives you problems heh heh.

It really shouldn't happen that often, though this depends on the canopy you're jumping. Friend of mine has a Sabre 1 and they're apparently known for teeth-jarring openings. He had our rigger sew a pocket into the slider, which seems to have solved the problem for him.

I jump with a Safire 2 which are known for soft openings (And it's not as snivelly as I expected it to be,) but I've managed to pack myself a couple of pretty nasty openings. Oddly both times I've done that, I thought my pack job was looking pretty good. The ones I think I'll probably have to cut away always open great :S

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Someone else correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand hard openings come from either body position, packing, or the equipment itself may be prone to issues. As far as how often it happens, I am sure it varies from person to person. Someone jumping modern equipment, with great packing and freefall skills may almost never have a hard opening. Someone jumping an older style canopy and depending on a packer may have a hard opening one out of five times. Good luck on your next AFF jumps!

Did you ask your instructors about this? What did they say? You're doing AFF at Deland, IIRC. They've thrown a student or two out of a plane...and would probably be a good source of advice. I doubt you'd find new, greater information here than the folks at the DZ.

I mentioned it to the packers and they seemed surprised but noted it. I also told my instructors and they said basically "it happens sometimes". Didn't look too bad after the jump (but hurt)... Then I got home and it was all nasty black/swollen and REALLY sore. I know my body position was good (they were holding on to me + they told me it was a perfect jump). Either way, took today off to let this heal up a bit and will do some tunnel tonight w/ my coach before resuming tomorrow. Now where's those epsom salts? [:/]

corpkid

I mentioned it to the packers and they seemed surprised but noted it. I also told my instructors and they said basically "it happens sometimes". Didn't look too bad after the jump (but hurt)... Then I got home and it was all nasty black/swollen and REALLY sore. I know my body position was good (they were holding on to me + they told me it was a perfect jump). Either way, took today off to let this heal up a bit and will do some tunnel tonight w/ my coach before resuming tomorrow. Now where's those epsom salts? [:/]

I have never been bruised by an opening. I have packed for myself since jump 20. I have had two opening that got my attention and both happened when I had been tracking really hard and fast....as I recall. I have learned to slow down a big before deployment and also some tricks on my pack job to keep it from popping open.

Most packers that pack student rigs are pretty good to not mess you up. But mistakes can happen.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I can't offer any advice but I can sympathize, I got whacked hard on a student 280. I either cracked 3 ribs or tore the connective tissue on them (the x-ray wasn't clear and the treatment is the same for either one so I opted to skip a CAT scan). 6 weeks recovery, no real treatment other than "if it hurts don't do it".

Video showed no major issues with body position and my instructor thought everything was fine till I landed though he did notice that the canopy opened faster than normal.

On a winter weather hold for the next many months. As of right now I'm not sure if I'll get back in the sport or not. As a student we really have to put a lot of faith into the people who pack, select and maintain the gear we are allowed to use.

(edit to add: I don't blame anyone, but I do question how mature the industry really is when "sometimes that just happens" is a standard and accepted answer for what causes hard openings)

DaveAnderson

...I don't blame anyone, but I do question how mature the industry really is when "sometimes that just happens" is a standard and accepted answer for what causes hard openings...

Because when you throw a folded up bunch of nylon into the air at 120 mph, it gets a little chaotic. Some things can't be completely controlled.

Proper maintenance, correct packing, correct body position and a forgiving canopy all help mitigate hard openings.

But any canopy can spank you at any time. Nothing is guaranteed.

Mike "Sparky" Owens has been quoted: "You can do everything right and still die in this sport."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DaveAnderson

I can't offer any advice but I can sympathize, I got whacked hard on a student 280. I either cracked 3 ribs or tore the connective tissue on them (the x-ray wasn't clear and the treatment is the same for either one so I opted to skip a CAT scan). 6 weeks recovery, no real treatment other than "if it hurts don't do it".

Video showed no major issues with body position and my instructor thought everything was fine till I landed though he did notice that the canopy opened faster than normal.

On a winter weather hold for the next many months. As of right now I'm not sure if I'll get back in the sport or not. As a student we really have to put a lot of faith into the people who pack, select and maintain the gear we are allowed to use.

(edit to add: I don't blame anyone, but I do question how mature the industry really is when "sometimes that just happens" is a standard and accepted answer for what causes hard openings)

Not to be rude, but if you're not able to accept the risk of bodily harm then... you may not want to get into this sport. The problem with skydiving is the number of variables. There are so many which can lead to bad openings, twists, need for reserves, hard landings, collapses, collisions, off-landings... its a sport that perfection is sought but never found. Its the same with auto racing (something I have some experience in). No matter how good I got, sometimes a variable would change and things would go awry... one great example, we had our car tuned so perfect it was like a symphony sailing through the road course. 10 laps into a 50 lap race I'm pushing fast into turn 5 just like every single corner before it... and the car slides off at 76MPH into the tyres. What happened? Well, I had not realized that there was a tree near the corner that the sun went behind causing a 2 degree cooler surface that my tyres were not ready for.

With skydiving, it is the same. Little wind here, humidity there, bad rubber band, slider shifts funny while packing...

99% of the time everything is great, you gotta train for the other 1%.

The packers I've met (small number, mind you) care greatly about the pack jobs they do. They care about their work. Someone packs a few hard opens, and pretty soon nobody wants them packing and they are broke.

Anyhow, things will happen, if you aren't able to accept that risk, there are other sports that have less variables. Less risk. But in a system with this many variables things "do just happen". If we could prevent all of them... well... we would not be in danger when falling at the blue marble at 120mph.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

Not to be rude, but if you're not able to accept the risk of bodily harm then... you may not want to get into this sport. The problem with skydiving is the number of variables. There are so many which can lead to bad openings, twists, need for reserves, hard landings, collapses, collisions, off-landings... its a sport that perfection is sought but never found. Its the same with auto racing (something I have some experience in). No matter how good I got, sometimes a variable would change and things would go awry... one great example, we had our car tuned so perfect it was like a symphony sailing through the road course. 10 laps into a 50 lap race I'm pushing fast into turn 5 just like every single corner before it... and the car slides off at 76MPH into the tyres. What happened? Well, I had not realized that there was a tree near the corner that the sun went behind causing a 2 degree cooler surface that my tyres were not ready for.

With skydiving, it is the same. Little wind here, humidity there, bad rubber band, slider shifts funny while packing...

99% of the time everything is great, you gotta train for the other 1%.

The packers I've met (small number, mind you) care greatly about the pack jobs they do. They care about their work. Someone packs a few hard opens, and pretty soon nobody wants them packing and they are broke.

Anyhow, things will happen, if you aren't able to accept that risk, there are other sports that have less variables. Less risk. But in a system with this many variables things "do just happen". If we could prevent all of them... well... we would not be in danger when falling at the blue marble at 120mph.

Not rude at all, I agree it's not a simple problem or system.

My last few jumps (AAF 3-6) have been great in terms of openings. Speaking with my instructors my body position on jump 2 (the one with the hard open) may have had something to do with it. I was looking down, de-arching, and had my feet on my butt at pull time. Either way, now I make VERY SURE to get a super arch going before yanking the toggle. My buddy and me are all bruised up but still loving it. Like we say to each other - you DID sign up for skydiving, right? :)

corpkid

My last few jumps (AAF 3-6) have been great in terms of openings. Speaking with my instructors my body position on jump 2 (the one with the hard open) may have had something to do with it. I was looking down, de-arching, and had my feet on my butt at pull time. Either way, now I make VERY SURE to get a super arch going before yanking the toggle. My buddy and me are all bruised up but still loving it. Like we say to each other - you DID sign up for skydiving, right? :)

There are lots of bowling facilities in Florida... ;)
Good for you guys, keep at it!

OMG - just found out my buddy had a spinning line over mal on his level 7!!! He didn't want to freak me out so he didn't tell me but our instructor mentioned it in passing and I was like WHAT!? He handled it like a pro. Needless to say, I bought plenty of beers for him tonight! :)

corpkid

Ironically we love bowling post-sky-dive. Kind of a nice come down from the thrill. Oh, and they have beer. :) Buddy KILLED level 7 and I was under the weather. Monday is my day to make this up (we are very competitive). LOL

I, too, like bowling. But only candlepin...

What canopies are you using for AFF?

Hard openings CAN be body position but most of the time it's not. If you were still belly to earth, it shouldn't have mattered.

You have 7 hours tunnel time according to your profile, so chances are you're stable even when de-arched. De-arching doesn't cause hard openings.

It's either the canopy is a hard opening canopy or the packers that need schooling.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

PD 280 loaded at about .85 (I'm 230-ish out of plane). Either way that shit HURT like holy hell and I spend the first 2 minutes of canopy finding ways to move the leg straps down my thighs. :) And yes I tend to be pretty stable belly to earth. A little more leg pressure has done wonders however. :)