2 2
RiggerLee

Smoke grenad

I heard something about this. Finally got around to watching a couple of the videos on it.

I've never used smoke grenad. Never liked doing demos. I'm curious where this will fall. If the products you are using fell under these exemptions then you will now need an explosive license to reorder. Furthermore if you are currently in possession of them then you now fall under the storage requirements.

Apparently there is at least one company claiming that their products fall under the category of "pyrotechnics". Note how I phrased that. I'm curious what your using who makes it and whether it fell under the exemptions?

Lee

Had trouble posting. At first I thought it wouldn't let me use the word grenade turns out it wouldn't accept a simple YouTube link. WTF? I was going to post a link to a discussion about this rule change. But I guess you'll have to go search for it your self.

Lee

Interesting.

How much of an issue is this in practice?  I don't know, but I see the EG18X smoke grenade is on the list as no longer exempted.  Its baby brother -- with less smoke volume -- is the EG18, isn't mentioned, so that one is still OK without the extra regulations.

I have used the EG18X on demos. A pretty decent grenade for that use, at a reasonable price.  Some years back they seemed to be the best I would see available.

But in recent years there are pricier grenades out there with higher performance. So I don't know what high end, well sponsored teams use. But for smaller demos, the EG18X's were nice to have.

So it kind of looks like the higher end, better stuff, is getting more regulation.

Had trouble posting. At first I thought it wouldn't let me use the word grenade turns out it wouldn't accept a simple YouTube link. WTF? I was going to post a link to a discussion about this rule change. But I guess you'll have to go search for it your self.

Lee

• Like 1

The video I saw was on a guns channel on YouTube. It appears to be a big thing with higher end air soft events. I'm not talking kids in the back yard I'm talking grown was men that fly across the world to play glorified paintball at international events with a thousand attendees. They apparently go through 10 of thousands of these grenades in one event.

Apparently this is a big thing. Did not know that.

So you are a very small part of the market. As always we are riding on some one else's coattails. It sure is nice to have smoke so the audience can see the demo teams. But if this market collapses, we are not enough to keep it afloat, you might have to say good by to affordable smoke.

Depending on how this goes you won't be able to buy it any more. The FAA might not allow you to use what you have on demos any more. Every one in possession of it right now is by deffinition breaking the law. I don't think any one is going to come hunt you down but if you got into trouble for something else in theory they could add it as a charge. Let's say there was a fire at your house and they found "explosives" in your garage. Now your looking at federal charges.

I checked paragear. They were still selling... Something? Didn't look like what I think of as a smoke grenade. Maybe a "pyrotechnic"? Say your budy gets a demo and needs to buy a couple of grenades off you. Selling transfering transporting storing conspiracy... It sounds silly but every thing with the ATF is silly. Say your friend shows up at the airport to jump into his local school and is talking to the FAA and he asks something like... What have you got there..

I had not seen this mentioned but people should be aware of it.

Lee

• Like 1