gowlerk

Healthcare Failures

I'm starting this thread because I could not find another one and it may be useful. I saw an news article about the famous '80s US gymnastics star and heroine Mary Lou Retton, now 55, being very sick in a Texas hospital with a nasty type of pneumonia that has her close to death. I suppose that can happen to anyone, but the story also just casually mentions that her daughter has started a go fund me page because, you guessed it. Mary Lou Retton has no health insurance at this time.

Other nations also struggle with healthcare including Canada where staff shortages and underfunding do create situations that should not happen in first world countries. 

https://apnews.com/article/mary-lou-retton-pneumonia-intensive-care-bb2220659b047242bb8ff9e5e067106a

13 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'm starting this thread because I could not find another one and it may be useful. I saw an news article about the famous '80s US gymnastics star and heroine Mary Lou Retton, now 55, being very sick in a Texas hospital with a nasty type of pneumonia that has her close to death. I suppose that can happen to anyone, but the story also just casually mentions that her daughter has started a go fund me page because, you guessed it. Mary Lou Retton has no health insurance at this time.

Other nations also struggle with healthcare including Canada where staff shortages and underfunding do create situations that should not happen in first world countries. 

https://apnews.com/article/mary-lou-retton-pneumonia-intensive-care-bb2220659b047242bb8ff9e5e067106a

"Retton managed to accumulate considerable financial worth with her achievements in gymnastics and commercial endorsements. Retton's estimated net worth is $8 million. Apart from her earnings in gymnastics and endorsements, her motivational speaking engagements also contribute to her wealth....Mary Lou Retton earned a $1 million reward for her Olympic gold from the U.S. Olympic Committee and the cereal brand Wheaties,."

I guess she could have spent it all.

Progress in Canada...."Once fully implemented, the Canadian Dental Care Plan will support up to 9 million uninsured Canadians who have an annual family net income of less than $90,000 in getting the oral health care they need, with no co-pays for those with family incomes under $70,000" Which is typical Liberal overreach. We can't afford the funding of the programs that are legislated now.

In the US at least the GOP has given up on trying to kill Obama-care for now. Even in its limited current format.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, gowlerk said:

Well....someone on a website says that she is worth that much. Who knows? Being on a respirator in a private hospital probably gets expensive quickly.

Also, 'net worth' and 'cash available to pay hospital bills' are two VERY different things.

Plus, ICU for the uninsured can hit 7 figures within a week or so.
That stuff is expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Also, 'net worth' and 'cash available to pay hospital bills' are two VERY different things.

Plus, ICU for the uninsured can hit 7 figures within a week or so.
That stuff is expensive.

Her Houston home in 2022, 9,000 sq feet, six bedrooms, six baths,

spacer.png

The main foyer:

spacer.png

"Donations to a SpotFund account from just over 6,800 donors by Thursday afternoon had brought in more than $392,000, far surpassing the family’s $50,000 goal."