Varsity

Doubts about skydiving

I have a couple of my early ones up on my youtube channel and like to post them here from time to time. My AFF 5 exit is pretty comical. I have more tunnel videos than skydiving videos, but you can watch my abilities improve dramatically in my first few tunnel videos. Seems like a lot of people feel like they should be awesome immediately and get discouraged when they're not, but truth of the matter is we all have to learn this the same way and all have remarkably similar experiences at various points along the way. There's really not a lot standing between where you're at and where I'm at right now. I started in July of 2012 am not even to 10 hours of freefall yet. You'd be amazed at how fast you get here once you get over these early humps.

For me, AFF 4 went fairly well.

After my AFF 5 exit, I was on the fence about repeating it (My instructor left it up to me.) Going back and looking at the video the fact that I was able to get stable and was altitude aware through my turns at pull time, that's the only reason I decided I was probably OK to go on to 6. He agreed with me and 6 and 7 went pretty well. I learned I have a tight little barrel roll. I haven't done one in a while. Now I'm going to have to do flips and barrel rolls again next time I go skydiving!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Based on all the other responses, and my own experiences, I think everyone gets discouraged at some point. Or at least questions their motivations for continuing. My problem as a student was I took it too seriously, so I really didn't have nearly as much fun as I should have. So I got to a point where I thought, this isn't very much fun anymore. Fortunately this was right before I finished IAD. I went back, finished, and did my first jump not being concerned about passing something. Then I realized once you take away the performance expectations (other than being safe) all the fun came back to me. Just did jump 30 and 31 last weekend, and it continues to be great!
Have fun, and good luck on the rest of AFF!

GAjumper84

My problem as a student was I took it too seriously, so I really didn't have nearly as much fun as I should have. So I got to a point where I thought, this isn't very much fun anymore.

I can relate to that. For me, AFF training was conducive to military training - very serious and no fun whatsoever. Each instructor I had seemed to be upset because I wasn't laughing and smiling all the time. They wanted me to smile on the ground and in the plane on the way to altitude. I not only had anxiety about performing well, concentrating on what I had to do on the dive flow, but also just anxiety about the plane ride, the "door monster" and what my crash landing was going to look like with hopefully a good PLF.

I thought at times that these instructors were being unreasonable wanting me to be "howdy doody" the ass clown with all that going on as a noobie. I kept wondering what my problem was because I wasn't mister smiley-face. I got the impression that when these others went through their training it was all smiles, jokes, giggles, and knee slaps the whole way throgh.

For what I am paying to do this hobby/activity, I should be having the time of my life. I bet I've already spent a few thousand dollars and I'm still on AFF 7. I keep thinking at some point this will be all the fun that others say it will be, and my 4 hour drive to the DZ will be all smiles, laughing, and constant jokes once I get there.

varsity

Hi everyone, I am a new skydiver on my level 4 AFF. I have done level 4 once already and failed because I could not stay stable and pulled very low. This has severely damaged the confidence I had in myself in skydiving and sometimes it feels like maybe skydiving just isn't for me, which sucks because I really enjoy it and want to continue. I was wondering if anyone else (experienced or not) ever had any doubts as to whether or not skydiving is the right activity for them? I watch people skydive and they make it look so easy, even some students, but I feel like I'm behind the curve. Any thoughts or advice? Much appreciated.

Screwing up is normal and everybody makes mistakes. But I don't see anyone pointing out what you did wrong. Was it instability? Nope. That is par for the course and can be cured. But you seem to have tried so hard to become stable that you forgot rule number 1: get your freaking parachute open at the proper altitude! Hopefully your instructor has reamed your ass properly for that FU.

jumpgump

They wanted me to smile on the ground and in the plane on the way to altitude. I not only had anxiety about performing well, concentrating on what I had to do on the dive flow, but also just anxiety about the plane ride, the "door monster" and what my crash landing was going to look like with hopefully a good PLF.

They could tell you were uptight. You seem to have a lot of negative visualization on each jump. They were trying to adjust your arousal level down to a more optimal level.

For what I am paying to do this hobby/activity, I should be having the time of my life. I bet I've already spent a few thousand dollars and I'm still on AFF 7. I keep thinking at some point this will be all the fun that others say it will be, and my 4 hour drive to the DZ will be all smiles, laughing, and constant jokes once I get there.

Sorry the sport hasn't been what you've hoped it would be. It IS supposed to be fun. I was nervous for my student jumps, but kept my focus on the goals and had fun learning to skydive. Skydiving is a journey, not a destination. Try to enjoy each moment of it as it comes.

You say your landings are bad? How HWP are you and in how good of shape? PM me if you like.

wolfriverjoe

***I got stuck on level 4 too. That was 2300 jumps ago. Keep at it. Get to a tunnel and let 'er rip! :)

You have 2300 level 4 jumps?

Wow, that is persistence.

Oh god that was hilarious...

:P
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

******I got stuck on level 4 too. That was 2300 jumps ago. Keep at it. Get to a tunnel and let 'er rip! :)

You have 2300 level 4 jumps?

Wow, that is persistence.

Oh god that was hilarious...

I'm sorry, I can't resist a straight line that easy.

Well, I'm actually not all that sorry.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

i started with AFF in August and had 19 Repeates until
self supervison.
I was defenetely NOT talented ... and the Tunnel didnt
help much either.
AFF1 - Meniscus rupture
AFF3 - Leg beaten badly ...

6 Month Later (and 80 jumps now) i am a B Lic Holder,
landings are almost all "stand ups" and i met great People.

If not for a girl that was doing her AFF at the same time and talking to me, i would have stoped at Level 4..

my adivce, look for people that are at the same level, be honest about your fears and thoughts - it will "click"
one day and you will be confident.

Where are you jumping ?

As a very recent AFF grad myself, I wanted to chime in about a couple of things.

1. Thank you for posting this. Even though I've got the skills needed to stay stable in freefall (and that's pretty much the only thing I can do) and even though I have loved every single jump I've done, I still catch myself having the same doubts about whether this is really for me and whether I'll ever get good at it. Those doubts tend to be worst at around 8K feet on the plane ride to altitude. haha. Anyway, it's helpful to know that you and many others have also struggled with these doubts, so thank you.

2. I just wanted to echo a couple of the points made earlier about AFF. The first few levels aren't fun. They're hard, stressful, and they feel like a test, which is why you feel a crushing sense of failure if you screw up. Try to remember that a skydive is a skydive. If you deployed your parachute and got to the ground in one piece, you passed. You just... may need to pass again a couple of times before you do a different dive flow. :) Once you get to AFF levels 5 - 7, though, you'll be amazed at how much more fun it is and, if you're like me, you'll actually be able to feel yourself improving second by second during those jumps. Persevere at least until you get to that point. It will be so worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I would like to thank everyone for the positive feedback, encouragement, and advice! I redid my level 4 this past thursday with a different instructor, and although i could not stop myself from spinning again the instructor said it had nothing to do with body position. she said my arch was perfect and my legs and hands were in good, symmetrical position. turns out i can't control myself because i'm too tense in free fall. i assume its because i usually do 1 jump every 3 weeks (tight on money). I keep being told that the feeling of being relaxed in free fall is something that just kind of clicks with you the minute you do it, so i will try to jump more often to help with that. I was told the next jump should be a level 4/5 combined since they are essentially the same thing and however i do on that jump will determine what is next