Chelseaflies

Jumping at Lodi Parachute Center without much experience?

NWFlyer

Many drop zones have a "visitors" procedure: and then there is the problem of multiple gear, as well as proving that you can jump, many places wanted level sevens or hop in pops, some places wanted level 3 jumps, expensive, but understandable. By the time you went thru this procedure, and every one knew you were wearing the local "rental, or student" gear it was always difficult to interrupt the locals who assembled midweek to jump together. So speaking from personal experience and racking up a hundred or so solo jumps sucks!

WTF is this visitors procedure you imagine? I've not seen it for a current, licensed jumper at any of the dropzones I've visited in the current century.

The original poster is a licensed jumper who will (presumably, based on her description) be current for her license level when she shows up at a dropzone. So long as she shows up with a license, signed logbook that shows currency, and in-date gear, I can't think of a single dropzone that'll require her to do anything other than sign a waiver, get a dropzone briefing, and plunk down some money before she's allowed to hop on a plane.

Lodi won't even require any of those except for the money (though I've found the locals quite willing to provide a briefing upon request). Of course, the last time I was at Lodi was a whole 12 days ago when I was judging a scrambles event there, so I suppose my info might be a bit out of date. ;)

But what do I know, I've only gone to 25+ different dropzones in the most recent 9 years, while racking up 1200+ jumps and I have never once had to do anything more than what I described above - prove I'm licensed, prove I'm current, prove my gear's in date, get a briefing, and give 'em some money.

(BTW you were doing really well with the read more, post less thing for a few days there. What happened?)

Yup...Heck I never even carry a logbook. I have my home DZ on speed dial, "ask manifest if I'm current" ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Rover

Oh and that goes for every other Vector/Sigma rating .

In the USA ;)

Just that in non US countries we feel we are a little more free to have our own rules and ignore what some American company and its lawyers say. Some rules we follow, some we don't.

NWFlyer

Many drop zones have a "visitors" procedure: and then there is the problem of multiple gear, as well as proving that you can jump, many places wanted level sevens or hop in pops, some places wanted level 3 jumps, expensive, but understandable. By the time you went thru this procedure, and every one knew you were wearing the local "rental, or student" gear it was always difficult to interrupt the locals who assembled midweek to jump together. So speaking from personal experience and racking up a hundred or so solo jumps sucks!

WTF is this visitors procedure you imagine? I've not seen it for a current, licensed jumper at any of the dropzones I've visited in the current century.

The original poster is a licensed jumper who will (presumably, based on her description) be current for her license level when she shows up at a dropzone. So long as she shows up with a license, signed logbook that shows currency, and in-date gear, I can't think of a single dropzone that'll require her to do anything other than sign a waiver, get a dropzone briefing, and plunk down some money before she's allowed to hop on a plane.

Lodi won't even require any of those except for the money (though I've found the locals quite willing to provide a briefing upon request). Of course, the last time I was at Lodi was a whole 12 days ago when I was judging a scrambles event there, so I suppose my info might be a bit out of date. ;)

But what do I know, I've only gone to 25+ different dropzones in the most recent 9 years, while racking up 1200+ jumps and I have never once had to do anything more than what I described above - prove I'm licensed, prove I'm current, prove my gear's in date, get a briefing, and give 'em some money.

(BTW you were doing really well with the read more, post less thing for a few days there. What happened?)

I was referring to what the experience is like to travel with out gear to many, many, different drop zones. My experience in the late 90s'. I found that many places I visited just pointed to the "rack," and then your on your own to manifest and such. As you point out. And just as many other places had a more intensive hand holding attitude. Many places, at that time, doing a low exit, with the rental gear was a prerequisite before "they" let you jump with others whilst using "their" gear! Other places wanted you to demonstrate a jump with a single AFF rated jumpmaster. A few places wanted a level 3 jump with 2 AFF rated instructors before "they" would set you free so to speak. Sometimes I thought they were just looking for the extra cash. But I can understand when a new face show's up and you don't know a thing about them, such as it was back in the day which didn't seem all that long ago. 20 years ago we called each different category "levels" as compared with the current nomenclature of categories. Not being snarky with the name thing here, some don't know that we used to call student jumps level 1 through 7. What is still current, especially mid week jumping, IMO is that most everyone knows who the Out of Towner is. This is a good thing because although traveling frequently has a downside just about everywhere I went everyone was wonderful. And unlike dropzone.com communication in person is about 1000 times easier and without the many different misunderstandings. That said, the downside of my travels to many different places were the hassles with gear, you never know what's inside some times, I learned to dump the main and then repack, as a rule, but that's just me. And the fact that racking up solos as compared with jumping with others was better than not jumping, but it was dictated by circumstances beyond my control, but on the other hand in this day and age it's just something I wanted to point out because now, today, we have more choices.

Visiting new places can be a daunting experience, speaking from my personal experience. So I am trying to answer your question, is what I'm doing here at the moment.

So the use of the phrase "Visitors Procedure" was my lumping my experiences of yesteryear as a traveler, sorry for the confusion. But I was trying to point out my experiences and history.

In a sense you have also raised the idea of a LO at many different places. To me, this points out the benefits of traveling and having a LO. But subject to the locals: who is the LO, how do they operate, is there a LO person midweek? Stuff like that. Are their people to facilitate newbies to get them to a LO? Or are they just left to wander around for themselves. This is also something I wanted to bring to Chelseas (The OP.)s attention. Because IMO some places do a really great job at this as compared with others!

So cheek in tongue so to speak, what's the "Visitors Procedure" at your dz? I see now how when I used those exact words they could be perceived as some sort of edict or experty opinion: "Many drop zones have a "visitors" procedure..."

It does look like more of a "statement" as compared with an opinion, I'm sorry it was just an opinion, :P I'll try to rephrase when I'm doing that.... and see it, thanks to the anoumous person that my writing style sucks, but sincere thanks for taking the time to point out the actual words I used that are perceived as tone! No tone intended. :)
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I was referring to what the experience is like to travel with out gear to many, many, different drop zones. My experience in the late 90s'. I found that many places I visited just pointed to the "rack," and then your on your own to manifest and such. As you point out. And just as many other places had a more intensive hand holding attitude. Many places, at that time, doing a hop 'in pop was a prerequisite before "they" let you jump with others and "their" gear!

So you did H&Ps without a rig?, since you didn't have your own gear and a H&P was a prerequisite before you could jump "their" gear?

I guess you're not a bullshitter since you survived :D

Chalk it up already, you contribute nothing useful to anyone on the forums with your vast lack of knowledge. Stop steering every thread into validating your "experience" and getting off topic. Or just start your own single thread and argue with yourself, obviously you have some kind of personality disorder (I'm not a Dr. in real life, but I can pretend like you).

It does look like more of a "statement" as compared with an opinion, I'm sorry it was just an opinion, Tongue I'll try to rephrase when I'm doing that.... and see it, thanks to the anonymous person that my writing style sucks, but sincere thanks for taking the time to point out the actual words I used that are perceived as tone! No tone intended.

Do I detect a slower more humble approach regarding your communications here? :)

Posts are indeed longer, but the clarification seems genuine and the attempts are appreciated. ;)B|

- and no... it's not 'just you' that pops & repacks borrowed gear! :$

However, I too have traveled extensively to DZ's all over the world since the 80's.

I've never been asked to perform any kind of demonstration of skills...I just show a license & fill out a waiver is about it.

As I said I don't travel with a logbook, only time it was ever an issue the girl working the desk was fairly new to the sport. While trying to explain to her that an in date PRO card actually does somewhat verify currency...the DZO walked in, since I was his 'I' 30 years before I got the nod and made the next load.

Might be Chris, that you 'carry yourself' in a way that prompts some questioning in regard to your actual experience & level of skill...and THAT'S why you were run through the 'noob procedure' back in the day?! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Could be?

But I think it was more like:

Not carrying a license,
No gear,
and stating to manifest: "I haven't jumped in a while."

And I don't remember if they even had "coach" jumps as much as just wanting to keep an eye on you. Anyways who ever was checking me out generally asked about recency and currency when we were in the plane. Or close to boarding. I kept my mouth shut and had more money then,... so most of the time I did in fact enjoy the company. And the extra dz orientation. I was in fact silent and very quiet, if you can believe that. [:/] But thanks, with everyone's help,...well I can learn. WELL Thanks!! :)
C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."