Vahan

Is it okay for an unprepared person to have a drop 4km/13k feet

Judging by your mention of Mount Ararat, you live in Turkey (sp?).

Also difficult to tell whether you are simply asking about flying a speed-wing all the way down a tall mountain, or something more complex.

If you are merely asking about flying a speed-wing all the way down a tall mountain, it is possible qonce you have mastered the basics of launching and landing on the "bunny-hill." The term "bunny hill" comes from the sport of downhill/snow skiing where beginners learn the basics on a short, shallow slope before tackling the entire mountain.  

Mind you, tall mountains have complex weather patterns. Some of those weather patterns can be learned form books (e.g Dennis Piggot), but still require a lifetime of observation. You will notice that the best speed-wing/para-glider/hang-glider/sail-plane pilots are the weather observers.

OTOH it would be unwise for you to try freefall without some training by an experienced skydiving instructor.

You do not know what you do not know.

Even a few minutes in a vertical wind tunnel will teach you the basics of falling stable. Falling stable helps a lot at opening time as it vastly increases the chances that your parachute will open correctly.

On 8/7/2023 at 3:14 AM, TomAiello said:

That's really a speed wing question, not a BASE jumping one.  :)

Personally, I'd probably fly it on a paraglider first if I wasn't sure I could make the flight on a speed wing.

Speed wing is also lighter and easy to carry, if I do that it certainly will be on speedwing

On 8/7/2023 at 8:19 PM, riggerrob said:

Judging by your mention of Mount Ararat, you live in Turkey (sp?).

Also difficult to tell whether you are simply asking about flying a speed-wing all the way down a tall mountain, or something more complex.

If you are merely asking about flying a speed-wing all the way down a tall mountain, it is possible qonce you have mastered the basics of launching and landing on the "bunny-hill." The term "bunny hill" comes from the sport of downhill/snow skiing where beginners learn the basics on a short, shallow slope before tackling the entire mountain.  

Mind you, tall mountains have complex weather patterns. Some of those weather patterns can be learned form books (e.g Dennis Piggot), but still require a lifetime of observation. You will notice that the best speed-wing/para-glider/hang-glider/sail-plane pilots are the weather observers.

OTOH it would be unwise for you to try freefall without some training by an experienced skydiving instructor.

You do not know what you do not know.

Even a few minutes in a vertical wind tunnel will teach you the basics of falling stable. Falling stable helps a lot at opening time as it vastly increases the chances that your parachute will open correctly.

Yeah, my question is a speedwing question, i asked my brother about that as well, cause coming down is takking 2,5 days. I said if you take a 3kg bag with you you can get down in less than an hour. He is on a hike on Ararat, and he said that you have to climatize before you do that, with meaning that it for pros and i wouldn't do that

Descending rapidly from altitude is not an aclimitazation problem. The only issues you might have are if you had some kind of sinus problem. That can be really uncomfortable. You might have to take some Sudafed.

The real question is can you launch it? You are going to have to run pretty fast to get it flying. Is there a suitable slope? Can you out fly the contours? What is the weather going to be? You might be walking down any way. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for this. Most accidents happen on decent. There is a lot to be said for a quick way down.

Lee

9 hours ago, RiggerLee said:

Descending rapidly from altitude is not an aclimitazation problem. The only issues you might have are if you had some kind of sinus problem. That can be really uncomfortable. You might have to take some Sudafed.

The real question is can you launch it? You are going to have to run pretty fast to get it flying. Is there a suitable slope? Can you out fly the contours? What is the weather going to be? You might be walking down any way. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for this. Most accidents happen on decent. There is a lot to be said for a quick way down.

Lee

Got it, i will consider all of that, thanks.

When I'll do that I'll let y'all know.