marektachyon

Young skydiver

Hi im 15years old and i have my tandem jump this summer and it was something undescrible simply amazing there is also a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OceTXS-LoyQ&feature=plcp
And now im thinking about AFF course (I live in Slovakia and there AFF course from 15 years) but im scared of one thing I can not hold a stable position... yes maybe windtunnel is a option to train but closest wind tunnel is 500km away... so I want to ask if this fear from unstable in air is normally for students THANKS !

Nope, usually they're more afraid of other things and aren't thinking that far ahead. I went through the program in July and was quite nervous on the ground, in the plane, and at the door. About the only place I wasn't that nervous was outside the plane after we jumped!

Somewhere around Jump 4 or 5, I stopped being so nervous around the door, but my instructor showed me one of my jumps before that time and I look terrified going to the door! I actually look more afraid than I remember feeling at the time.

The program is there to teach you all those things. They won't let you past a level until you can be stable and hold a heading. For the first few jumps you can be pretty unstable -- I know I was. But you have 2 instructors holding on to you (Or at least that's how AFF worked where I went.)

It's surprising how quickly arching becomes an instinct, and just arching will resolve most of the unstable situations you're likely to find yourself in. Find yourself flipping? Arch! On your back? Arch! Funnily I've tried to get on my back on a couple of jumps since I got out of AFF, and always end up instinctively arching as soon as I get over, which flips me right back onto my belly. If you're still unstable... arch more!

It's a scary thing to be doing, jumping out of an airplane. Especially when you're not familiar with your equipment, the planes, the process they use to get you in the air, or any of that stuff. I think it's a mistake to just deny that fear -- it's normal to worry about things. You need to recognize your fear, acknowledge that it's there, face it head on and don't let it stop you.

You can tell yourself "I know I'm afraid and this is normal, but if I can just control that for like ONE MINUTE, this experience is going to be awesome!"

One other thing, though, I am three times your age. This IS a risky sport. On my first jump, and every jump since then, I realize that there is a small but real chance that I could die on this jump. I've had a full life, have few responsibilities (No kids or very close family) and am willing to accept that risk. You should ask yourself (And perhaps your family) if you died on a jump, how would it affect your family? With so much of your life ahead of you, your answer may be different than mine. If it's not, perhaps we'll bump into each other at a dropzone at some time in the future!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?