canada

helmet question

As a newbie to the sport, still working on my aff. I need some advice from those that have had more air under them than I. I'm looking at buying a helmet and I have no idea of what would be a good entry level one. Any help would be great.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain.That is pouring like an avalanche comin' down the mountain

I got a Benny helmet for about $60 and it's lasted 225 jumps so far. The lining's starting to get a bit ratty, but can be easily replaced. If you don't mind the wind, it's a lot cheaper than a full face one!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Benny or ProTec are good to start with.

Not expensive, fairly tough, better protection than the fancy ones.

The chances are that you are going to biff in a few times early in your adventure. That $400 Carbon Fiber helmet will crack on a hard impact. The Benny or ProTec will just scuff and scratch (or cost a lot less to replace).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And for something like $10 more, one can get the more advanced liner for the Benny, which is a real, sewn helmet liner, and not just layers of foam that eventually peel off from each other a little at the edges. That's fairly new; only noticed it available last season.

The other option usually mentioned is the ProTec. It has the simple layers-of-foam style liner. If doing a ProTec, get the full shell, not the half shell.

We have relatively few people doing skydiving equipment sales in Canada, and without a point-and-click ordering interface, so a lot of skydiving specific stuff one orders from gear stores in the US like Para Gear, Chuting Star, Square One, Aerostore, or other places. Get together with a few friends to share shipping costs and order the stuff you need. Since demand is low at any given location, one might find standard items like goggles or a basic alti at a local DZ, but one isn't going to have racks of helmets to try out.

I notice that 'Danger' at Skydive Swoop does sell Bennys. He has had a small shop at the DZ for some years. (http://www.dangerwear.ca/SkySystems/Benny.html)

Full Protecs one might find at or through a kayaking or similar water sports store. Skateboard shops tend to have the half shell only - but who knows, they might be able to order others in.

jclalor

Is there an actual USPA requirement for helmets?

It seem like most helmets are used as nothing more than a place to mount your Go-Pro.

IIRC they usually make students wear them. The instructors seem to be of the opinion that it's not a great idea to skip wearing one. I've had enough light bumps on the plane that I'm convinced I should keep wearing it.

It won't help you if you walk into a prop, and once you get out of the plane your helmet is wearing you for protection. Keeps your goggles and Go-Pro in place pretty well, though.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***Is there an actual USPA requirement for helmets?

It seem like most helmets are used as nothing more than a place to mount your Go-Pro.

IIRC they usually make students wear them. The instructors seem to be of the opinion that it's not a great idea to skip wearing one. I've had enough light bumps on the plane that I'm convinced I should keep wearing it.

It won't help you if you walk into a prop, and once you get out of the plane your helmet is wearing you for protection. Keeps your goggles and Go-Pro in place pretty well, though.

BSRs only require them for students.

And I'm going to disagree that they aren't any use.

My ProTec has a few good scratches and one big gouge. I PLF'd and went right over a "fist-sized" rock hiding in the grass with my head. If I hadn't had the helmet on, I certainly would have been bleeding, possibly even a skull fracture.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo