xlh883

After seven years off....

I finally got 2 jumps in today! Woohoo!

I got up the courage at today to go back. Flying for the DZ has gotten me really interested in jumping again. It was not easy for me but I made myself do the re-currency jump with two coaches.

I had problems with my goggles popping up off my eyes 3 times but was able to do the maneuvers I needed to do fairly quickly. The only thing that got messed up was pulling at 4k instead of 5k. That was from not being able to read my altimeter well enough due to the lack of goggles at times but I pulled before I needed help and all was well till near the ground.

We had a good stiff ground wind and I was headed in on final and it changed direction on me about 20 or so feet up. I felt the fear of getting hurt again as it was a similar type of accident in 2006 that got me a fractured vertebrae. As in that incident, I fully flared the canopy at about the right time and did a sort of butt sliding PLF sorta thing. And I did not get hurt! I had been having fears of getting hurt again on the very first jump back, but I got over the fear to go up and jump again.

I decided to go up once more for a confidence jump to reinforce that I can jump safely and enjoy it. So I did! The first jump was out of the 182 which I have jumped out of before in the past and the second was the 206 which I had never jumped out of. I had to figure out how to exit from the 206 and it was fun! I put both legs out sitting on the edge and threw myself off the plane. I had a nice good tumble and I didn't; care. I enjoyed it actually. Just arched and righted myself quite easily. The skills come back quickly which is good.

I am in agreement with both coaches that I need to do some coach jumps to get my skills back up to snuff but they feel I am safe enough to take care of myself.

I wish I had not stopped, but it is what it is and I am not going to stop again if I can prevent it.

If any one reads this that is in a similar situation, get back up there! You won't regret it. You can do anything you put your mind to and get through nearly any obstacle.

Gotta use student get another week or two till my Cypres comes back and the reserve gets repacked. No big deal. The bigger main is good for me to jump with again.

David

Thank you for posting this! Glad to hear you are back up in the sky and your first few jumps went well!

I'm very new to skydiving but I injured myself landing my first AFP jump. I've been out for about a month and a half (which is not too long), but I sometimes debate whether I should pursue this, out of fear of getting hurt again. It's motivating to hear that you had the courage to go back, and I'm hoping to do the same very soon. :)