ShannonElise

First time at Deland... and I'm a little nervous

Deland is great...you'll love it. despite the (undeserved) rep it is a pretty friendly place with some real no shit skilled jumpers. As folks have said, seek out the LOs etc. not really a place for wallflowers (like any dz, I suppose) but ask and you'll receive. People are going to jump regardless so just ask the staff to point you in the right direction and you'll jump much as mr MasterCard can handle (within your comfort level, of course).

I think (though I could be lying at this point) that pretty much everyone is landing in the "student" area while the construction is going on. On the google maps it is the area directly under the "Deland" on the taxiway thing. It is very large. As always, get a good brief when you arrive.

The winds in FL during the winter can howl on the roof (while it is fine on the ground). 1-1.5 miles+ of freefall drift is not uncommon. FL's non-redeeming feature is endless fucking trees you don't want to land on...so inquire about the spot and exit separation.

You'll love it...bring good weather. Last weekend sucked.

So it seems you are going to miss the Turkey dinner at the DZ on Thurs. Yes, please bring good weather we need some. Also if you want "cheaper" jumps, bring cash/check/debit card. And let yourself be known! Us locals see so many new faces that we usually don't ask you to join us. (Unless you are a hot girl - they have all the luck :ph34r:.) If the weather is good, there will probably be organizers there of all disciplines, RW/FS, FF, wingsuit, etc. (CReW - you probably will have to go somewhere else...)

Thanks! It looks like it should be decent weather this weekend. I hope it stays that way. I want to get in at least 20-30 jumps over the course of 4 days. I think that is doable.

Oh and as for the "unless you are a hot girl...." comment. Check the avatar. It's debatable! And I'm strictly a RW/FS flyer right now, but my favorite thing to do is track.

See you all on Friday!

Since you are from a small DZ, it should be fun. We will probably have the skyvan and/or otter running. And hurry up and get comfortable with more people in the air. While you are here (if you want), we will get you your SCR and SCS awards.

Oh, and make sure you bring money for :D. (I feel I have to say even though I don't drink.)

I wish I could meet up with you, but I'm grounded until I get sinus surgery next month. I hope you have a great time. Let us know how it goes!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Great news and impressive amount of jumps! I'm so glad you had a fun time. You got lucky with the gorgeous weather for the weekend. Also glad you got to push yourself a little with the larger jumps. Did you gain some confidence in your abilities after that?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I definitely gained confidence this week. I was nervous for sure, but after that first jump, I was totally fine. And everyone was so welcoming. It was great. I've linked just a few pictures. The one in which I'm under parachute is one of the two days we did a sunset hi pull. It was beautiful!