Jimson45

getting back into jumping

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I'm just looking for some insight. i have been on a hiatus from skydiving for almost 2 years now, I was attending school and could not afford both. I have my A license with 45 jumps logged(my last one being a refresher jump at crosskeys), I am just wondering what my best approach to getting back to jumping would be as I will be graduating in may. I was thinking of attending safety day and talking the dropzone and doing a rerefresher jump and purchasing some coach jumps as well. I know its up to the dropzone but does this sound ok or will I need to do all of my AFF again? Any adVice would be awesome.

Thanks

Jimson45

Hey everyone,

... I was thinking of attending safety day and talking the dropzone and doing a refresher jump and purchasing some coach jumps as well. I know its up to the dropzone but does this sound ok or will I need to do all of my AFF again? Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

Go to safety day and talk to the instructors.

Just a guess (I'm not an instructor), you'll probably need a reasonable amount of ground 'refresh' stuff. Maybe sit through a FJC again. In the air, you may do an "AFF Style" jump and a couple coached jumps to be good to go.

You shouldn't have to start from the beginning.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There is the "minimum" that USPA requires and then there is what makes sense.
The fact that you have an A license will make it a little easier.
First, if your membership isn't current, renew it.
Then, USPA only requires one recurrency jump, but with your low numbers, I would ask to sit through a FJC, including an extensive review for EP's in the training harness.
If you do well, most would have you make an AFF jump and if that goes well, you're back.
Take thing slow and if in doubt about anything, talk to local instructors for the first season you come back.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

When the instructors tries to determine how to get you up to speed, you can bet they will ask you some questions to see where you are with your head knowledge as well as your experience and time off.

Have you considered studying the SIM as if you were going to take your A and maybe your B license tests? If someone asked you 10 A and B license type test questions today, would you pass their "test"? Something to consider.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I took a four year break when I was stationed overseas. I was at 55 jumps. I renewed my license and did all of the SIM questions online at the USPA website. That had me ready to do the refresher jump. It was a much fun as I remembered and I was glad I got back into the sport B|

My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

What I did when I got current:

1. Tunnel, focus on basics even though I had a lot of flight time already.
2. Read and re-read the SIM a few times.
3. Full recurrency/ground school session as required by local DZ.
4. Recurrency jump with instructor.
5. Land safe.
6. Wave good-bye to disposable income, off-DZ friends, and anything not skydiving related! ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080