propblast

ASTRA Anyone

Derek jumps a VX60 a 3.1:1 and starts his hook anywhere from ~800-1000 ft. On like his 10th jump on the canopy (at sea level) he was clocked at 90 MPH in the dive and 78 MPH planed out across the ground. We now live jump at 5400ft so I know he is going much fast. He did talk to Airtec about the possibility of a mis-fire and they said that they couldn't be possitive it wouldn't happen, so out came the cypres.

hearing that, maybe jeff mullins should consider taking out his. under his 65 xaos, granted had 30 pounds of lead on, but he came across the pond going 75 at rantoul, so i'm sure his dive was similar to dereks speed. i wonder if jeff has a cypres anyway though.

later

I've been jumping an ASTRA since starting civilian jumping last year. I have seen the ASTRA save 1 student who did not pull. The reserve fired at approximately 1000 feet. Marana DZ uses ASTRAs on all of it's student's gear. It is a simple operation. The switch is visible. You turn it on before you get in the plane. It calibrates itself and a steady, slow blinking green light indicates that it is armed and cycled. You have to remember to turn it off though. You can turn it off once you are under canopy, on the ground or at the end of the day. I prefer to turn mine off after each jump and turn it back on when I'm chuting up before I get a gear check. The only downside to it, in my mind, is it isn't out of sight like the Cypress.
Don't sweat the small stuff.....remember, it's all small stuff

Starting up an FXC Astra: switch to "ON."
The light flashes green 11 times, then goes solid green.
What does this mean?

My reading of the Astra manual (Revision 3, 1997) says that solid green means an error in the cutter circuit.

Would a rigger more current than me please comment?

riggerrob

Starting up an FXC Astra: switch to "ON."
The light flashes green 11 times, then goes solid green.
What does this mean?

My reading of the Astra manual (Revision 3, 1997) says that solid green means an error in the cutter circuit.

Would a rigger more current than me please comment?

Low battery, faulty cutter connection, or a fired cutter.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg