peek

Fly to Survive, Femur is Not a Verb DVD, poster

>If you took a paraglider pilot, and gave him a GLX, he might be able
> to launch it, but beyond that, he's in new territory, as he's not flying
> a paraglider, and paragliding principals don't apply.

The canopies produced by parachute companies and paragliding companies for this sort of thing are almost identical. Check out the Gin Nano, a canopy by a paragliding company. (See below.)

According then to your logic, if I were to deploy a paraglider from freefall, and it opened fine, and then I had an accident on landing, you would call it a skydiving accident, even though the skydiving portion of the jump went well? It would be paragliding accident, as the skills needed to safely complete that protion of the jump would be exclusive to paragliding.

We will just have to agree to disagree. To me, skydiving involves jumping from aircraft. Paragliding is ground launching using thermals. Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics.

Fly to Survive and Femur is Not a Verb DVD and poster

I saw at the local DZ this weekend that the "Fly to Survive" DVD and "Femur is Not a Verb" poster set is now being sent to drop zones.

(This is a project sponsored by a number of organizations to help improve canopy safety.)

Have any of you seen it yet?

I'm bumping this hopefully to get more opinions of the video/poster, now that Safety Day has come and gone, and more people have seen the video.

USPA could stand to benefit by some comments.
Some of the members' money wa used to create this package.

Yep, we did.

I didn't really hear any comments. I was pretty neutral about it myself. I thought it had a good introduction... a little long though. And it ended after the intro. Musta been a faulty disc. :)
Is an episode 2 on the way?

If it was an eye opener for anyone, their DZs should be ashamed.

Dave

I really thought the comment made about fewer and fewer reasonably sized canopies are becomeing harder to find was a joke. There are more canopy choices than ever. Icarus, PD, Aer0dyne, PA, the list goes on and on, and all with sizes up to and exceeding 230 sq feet.

I think the message should focus more on personal responsibility rather than seeking someone to teach you.

But our safety day isnt for 2 weeks so I will see how it goes and what our S+TAs think about it.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

So did any drop zones show this video on Safety Day? !!!

Yep. I wasn't blown away by it. I don't even really remember it. Didn't make much of an impression, apparently.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke