thetreehugger

Silly question.. what is "RW training"

I am really new to the sport. Working towards my solo, and then my A. At looking at the Solo checklist on the CSPA website, it says that as a solo jumper you can:

"Participate in solo skydives
Participate in 1:1 RW training with a Coach 2 for the 2-way RW endorsement.
Participate at Provincial and National Competitions (in qualified disciplines)"

---

This is probably a dumb question, but what is "RW training?" I have searched the forums and seen it referenced, but still cannot deduce what it means or stands for... :|

Yes.
So you'll jump with a coach and learn to move up or down relative to the coach, move towards and away from the coach, and so on. That's bout the fine maneuvering within say 10 feet of each other.

Thats' a minimum of 5 jumps, as part of the requirements for your A certificate.

Formation flying on your belly is traditionally known as RW, but at the formal competition level is known as FS, Formation Skydiving. The CSPA uses "RW" both for belly flying, and for flying formation in any body position, depending on the context. (Eg, if you aren't allowed to do RW with someone, it doesn't mean you can try sit fly with them, because that's not belly flying.)

thetreehugger

Thanks! So what would a 2 way RW endorsement mean? Ability to fly with one other person?

You'll need to do five jumps with a Coach 2 for this - the things you're learning are basically "Get There, Stay There, Get Away" - it'll cover linked and unlinked exits, matching levels, getting to docks, and basics of belly flight like sideslides, some basic formations, breaking off and tracking away, and so on.