countzero

Container for CRW sizing guide

I've been recently window shopping for a new CRW container. And Infinity is the only company that lists Lightnings in their container sizing info. While other manufacturer list cubic inch capacity and/or only standard size mains for canopy compatibility.

Using available PIA canopy volume info, cross compared with standard canopy sizes and a dash of the "just go one size bigger" adage that an old CRW dawg shared I've worked out a guide to make container shopping a bit easier for myself. And thought I'd share.

1- Take the size of Lightning and round up to the nearest standard 9 cell size.

2- Take that number and go up one more canopy size. If you up size a lot for pup training or jump in a dry climate going up another size can make packing even easier. See table below

Lightning: Rounded Up size: Container sized for:
113 120 135-150
126 135 150-170
143 150 170-190
160 170 190-210
176 190 210-230
193 210 230-250

Your mileage may vary and individual personal gear experiences may differ from the table.

This feels about right. My L160 fits neatly in my Vector II v5 rig, that also fits a Silhouette 190 neatly without even adjusting the closing loop.

L176 fits neatly with a longer closing loop, and L143 is the smallest I can get in it, and in that case the closing loop is the shortest it can be before the grommet thickness prevents me from closing the rig.