aphid

Well done, good sir

Sadly, Affleck's movie "Argo", was typical Hollywood nonsense.

"Thirty-five years ago, in early 1980, the Canadian flag snapped high in the wind in hundreds of American cities. Talk-show callers wept on air in gratitude to Canadians. Billboards dotted the countryside with “Thank you, Canada” writ large."

source: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/ken-taylor-the-right-man-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-right-time

Thank you, Mr. Taylor. You made us feel proud. Quietly proud. As always.

aphid

"Thirty-five years ago, in early 1980, the Canadian flag snapped high in the wind in hundreds of American cities. Talk-show callers wept on air in gratitude to Canadians. Billboards dotted the countryside with “Thank you, Canada” writ large."

source: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/ken-taylor-the-right-man-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-right-time

I live within 30 miles of the border. Most businesses around here that have an American flag, also have a Canadian flag right next to it.

Also, Canadian border patrol agents are usually more pleasant in letting me into Canada than the American CBP are about letting me come back home after a day of jumping.

Last time I was coming back from skydive Gananoque, the American CBP agent drilled me about whether I was bring liquor or alcohol back, then search my trunk and broke the little tab that lifts up the floor panel to access the spare tire.

That's stupid. Why would I smuggle liquor back from Canada? It's more expensive there. I always take beer to Canada and barter it for lift tickets :)

aphid

+1

aphid

Just the last scenes of it. A lot of interviews with the people involved (including Amb. Taylor) were aired when the movie was released, and that's what they said. It was really chilling at the end of the movie though (during the credits -- no spoilers) when they put screen shots from the movie side-by-side with photos from the event. Absolutely terrifying and horrific.

...which makes Amb. Taylor's actions all the more impressive and appreciated. Just because you're careful (or paranoid), doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! He had no way of knowing that his residence wasn't about to be overtaken, and had to make life-or-death decisions every step of the way.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

***Sadly, Affleck's movie "Argo", was typical Hollywood nonsense.

Just the last scenes of it. A lot of interviews with the people involved (including Amb. Taylor) were aired when the movie was released, and that's what they said. It was really chilling at the end of the movie though (during the credits -- no spoilers) when they put screen shots from the movie side-by-side with photos from the event. Absolutely terrifying and horrific.

...which makes Amb. Taylor's actions all the more impressive and appreciated. Just because you're careful (or paranoid), doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! He had no way of knowing that his residence wasn't about to be overtaken, and had to make life-or-death decisions every step of the way.

IMHO, your interpretation of the actual event(s) is mostly accurate.

In Canada, we were a bit put-off by the movies intimation that the CIA was primarily responsible for both the initiative and the outcome.

In a CNN interview, former U.S. president Jimmy Carter addressed the controversy: "90% of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian. And the movie gives almost full credit to the American CIA. And with that exception, the movie is very good. But Ben Affleck's character in the film was... only in Tehran a day and a half. And the main hero, in my opinion, was Ken Taylor, who was the Canadian ambassador who orchestrated the entire process."

Taylor noted, "In reality, Canada was responsible for the six and the CIA was a junior partner. But I realize this is a movie and you have to keep the audience on the edge of their seats." In the film, Taylor is shown threatening to close the Canadian embassy. This did not happen and the Canadians never considered abandoning the six Americans who had taken refuge under their protection.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_%282012_film%29#Canadian_versus_CIA_roles

Further to that, the film also takes liberties with the roles of the Kiwi & Brit diplomatic missions.

Sir John Graham, the then-British ambassador to Iran, said, "My immediate reaction on hearing about this was one of outrage. I have since simmered down, but am still very distressed that the film-makers should have got it so wrong. My concern is that the inaccurate account should not enter the mythology of the events in Tehran in November 1979."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_%282012_film%29#British_and_New_Zealand_roles

But hey. It scored at the box-office and with the little gold statues, so it's all good. [:/]