turtlespeed

Colorado Carry laws

I have found limited info on wiki . . .

What is the law in colorado about vehicle carry?

They have read that Colorado has castle doctrine . . . in Texas that means that your vehicle is your castle.

It that reciprocal?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ryoder

Damn, Turtle!
Just arrived in town, and already made enemies!:o

Noooooo. Just want to obey the laws.B|

I also read that the mags over 15 can be used from out of state for personal use.

I just want to make sure I do things right.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

OK, seriously, there are two different things here:
1. CO law.
2. Denver law.

Denver tries it's damnedest to be anal retentive compared to CO.
When inside Denver county/city, it's a whole different set of rules.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

OK, seriously, there are two different things here:
1. CO law.
2. Denver law.

Denver tries it's damnedest to be anal retentive compared to CO.
When inside Denver county/city, it's a whole different set of rules.

PM sent

I found this:
RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.
(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.
Note: Also see Misc Section on what Co Considers a Loaded Long Gun.

OK - so If I read this correctly, I can vehicle carry.

Am I mistaken?

turtlespeed

***Damn, Turtle!

I also read that the mags over 15 can be used from out of state for personal use.

See lower part of this page regarding the knee-jerk laws recently enacted.
I see no exception for out-of-state origins.
And if you get busted in CO, for chrissake don't do it in Denver!:S
I'd rather be busted by any other cops in CO, than Denver cops.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0198.htm

BTW TX CCW is recognized in CO.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******Damn, Turtle!

See lower part of this page regarding the knee-jerk laws recently enacted.
I see no exception for out-of-state origins.
And if you get busted in CO, for chrissake don't do it in Denver!:S
I'd rather be busted by any other cops in CO, than Denver cops.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0198.htm

BTW TX CCW is recognized in CO.

OK - so I called the non emergency line and was rewarded with great info.

Carry in the vehicle is permitted, even in Denver, and the HC mags are ok if from out of state.

That said, they have my number now, have triangulated it,and I expect a no knock warrant!:D

turtlespeed

OK - so I called the non emergency line and was rewarded with great info.

Carry in the vehicle is permitted, even in Denver, and the HC mags are ok if from out of state.

That said, they have my number now, have triangulated it,and I expect a no knock warrant!:D

That would be funny if you weren't inside the Denver city limits.:S

Regarding the carry in vehicle, I think that may have been modified at the same time the current CCW laws took effect. I seem to recall some squawking from Denver over that part of the law.

ETA: See the Denver section. The CO Supreme court split 3/3, letting the lower court ruling stand to stop the state preemption of Denver laws: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Colorado#Denver

turtlespeed

in Texas that means that your vehicle is your castle.

I was under the impression that Texas had a separate "Texas Motorist Protection Act" that allowed for those Texas Residents without a conceal permit to legally carry in their vehicle that is separate from the Castle Doctrine. Is that no longer true?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

***in Texas that means that your vehicle is your castle.

I was under the impression that Texas had a separate "Texas Motorist Protection Act" that allowed for those Texas Residents without a conceal permit to legally carry in their vehicle that is separate from the Castle Doctrine. Is that no longer true?

The “Castle Doctrine” is a concept that comes from the philosophy that every person is the King or Queen of their home. Thus, there is never a need for the monarch of the kingdom to flee the castle before using force against an unlawful intruder. Texas Penal Code §9.31 (governing the justified use of non-deadly force) and §9.32 (governing the justified use of deadly force) are our state’s version of the Castle Doctrine. Just proving that everything is bigger in Texas, our law extends the “Castle Doctrine” beyond your residence to include your occupied vehicle and workplace.

Inside your “castle,” under certain circumstances, Texas law presumes you acted reasonably and justifiably if you use force or deadly force to defend yourself against an intruder who enters your occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment. What are the circumstances that will give you this important legal presumption? The first is where an individual unlawfully and with force, enters or attempts to enter your occupied habitation, vehicle or place of business or employment. The second situation is if an individual unlawfully and with force, removes or attempts to remove you from your occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment. If you are ever confronted with either of these situations, Texas law will presume that you acted reasonably and were justified in using force or deadly force. Therefore, in order for you to be convicted of any crime, a prosecutor would have to overcome this presumption in order to prove that you did not act reasonably. Overcoming this presumption is nearly an impossible task in a court of law.

I understand both are true.

The protection act is there to allow you to have a protection device in your vehicle and the doctrine allows you to defend yourself.

BIGUN

But unless you have a concealed carry, you can't take your weapon out of the vehicle, correct?

You cannot carry it concealed. You can transport it. I have to take mine from my vehicle every time I go to the range. or when I get home.

You can transport it.

We have about 13 laws on the books as to why you can transport a weapon without a license. To a show, to a sporting event, to a gunsmith, etc.

But, in no case may the weapon be loaded and it must be in plain view.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.