rushmc

Obama was for it, before he was against it, or is it visa versa? I wonder if he knows?

kallend

*********One could argue that taxes of any sort are a form of confiscation or theft. If you don't cooperate, you're either imprisoned or murdered, depending on your level of not-cooperating.

directly speaking? sure, why not.

but in practice? no. if the tax is something that is apparent and part of the social contract

I really hate that phrase. I never got to choose if I wanted to sign that contract :P

The US Code of Federal Regulations runs to tens of thousands of pages. How many of them did you explicitly agree, with your signature, to abide by?

Funny thing about that is that the preposterous length of the "rulebook" if you will is one of the many reasons that any time someone says "If you aren't doing anything wrong you should have nothing to hide" I lose my shit. There's no possible way that anyone can be familiar with every single law and be absolutely sure they're not breaking one at any given moment, especially with how vaguely or subjectively worded many of them are.
cavete terrae.

grue

************One could argue that taxes of any sort are a form of confiscation or theft. If you don't cooperate, you're either imprisoned or murdered, depending on your level of not-cooperating.

directly speaking? sure, why not.

but in practice? no. if the tax is something that is apparent and part of the social contract

I really hate that phrase. I never got to choose if I wanted to sign that contract :P

The US Code of Federal Regulations runs to tens of thousands of pages. How many of them did you explicitly agree, with your signature, to abide by?

Funny thing about that is that the preposterous length of the "rulebook" if you will is one of the many reasons that any time someone says "If you aren't doing anything wrong you should have nothing to hide" I lose my shit. There's no possible way that anyone can be familiar with every single law and be absolutely sure they're not breaking one at any given moment, especially with how vaguely or subjectively worded many of them are.

Fact is, you are expected to abide by an enormous number of rules and "contracts" that you never agreed to in the first place. In fact only legal immigrants and certain government employees ever agreed that they would be governed by the Constitution.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Fact is, you are expected to abide by an enormous number of rules and "contracts" that you never agreed to in the first place. In fact only legal immigrants and certain government employees ever agreed that they would be governed by the Constitution.

Oh for sure. I'm just saying I don't like it. B|
cavete terrae.

Here is an article on the cost of a college getting accredited. When griping about college costs rising, remember that all this didn't have to happen "back in the day" when I started teaching.

highered.plexusintl.com/10-drivers-raising-cost-of-accrediation/

And not only does the college/university need to be accredited, each professional program it offers needs to be separately accredited.

I coordinated the accreditation of our nine engineering programs last year. I reckon it took about 50% of my time for some 6 months.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.