wmw999

Self-protection by police

Here is a story on NPR about another citizen attacking a police officer. Only he didn't get shot. Probably a number of reasons for this, but being white, and being part of a community the officer feels part of, probably contributed.

The behavior standard can't be different for different ethnicities of people. If you're a public servant in an area where you're not a part of the dominant group, then I think it's incumbent on you to learn about your professional community, and not expect them all to be like you.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

SkySpice

A trained LEO is killed with his own gun, yet we have morons who insist that they are safer if allowed to openly carry without necessarily having any training whatsoever.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

...yet we have morons who insist that they are safer if allowed to openly carry without necessarily having any training whatsoever.

And said morons are advocating for carrying in places like bars and public gatherings. What could possibly go wrong?:|:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Carrying a gun around without training is, indeed, a bad idea. Personally, I think open carrying as a civilian/non-LEO or disregarding how fast you can do a 100 m dash just because you have a gun are bad ideas too.

As far as training goes, I don't know how extensive the weapon-retention training LEOs have to go through is, but with their job involving hands on suspects, I think they'd generally be at greater risk of having their own gun turned on them. A good CCW course should cover the topic on at least a basic level, if nowhere else during the discussion of when not to pull your gun out.

All laws I'm familiar with regarding safety features and "personalization" requirements for firearms, both enacted and proposed, whose proponents claim would prevent incidents like the one linked, exempt all law enforcement.

As a Hillsborough County FL deputy once told me, if the bad guys see you have a gun, they will just take it away from you.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.