outrager

Syrian war: stopped in a hearbit

The easiest way for USA to help stop Syria civil war: do nothing. Simply stop helping the rebels, and Assad will eventually win.

The quickest way to save hundreds of thousands lives and stop the war: actually help Assad. Better yet, press Saudi and Qatar to stop supplying hardcore sunni jihadists with weapons and cash, and the war will be over with in a heartbit.

One can always argue that the same idea applies in reverse, i.e. if Russia and Iran stopped helping Assad, the rebels would eventually win. This is probably true (even though Assad seems to have the upper hand now). However, the result would be the opposite: if Assad wins the war ends. If rebels win, the infighting between them and the fully sectarian war will go on indefinitely.

This is rather obvious if your priority, as often claimed in mass media, were to save innocent lives. Unfortunately, none of the cynical and evil players of this chess game (USA, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran etc) care about that.

My perspective and emotional involvement in this matter comes, among other things, from driving all over Syria a few years before the war. I have particularly enjoyed little bits like visiting dozens of amazing old churches in Aleppo, or buying a bottle of wine in a corner shop and getting a free corkscrew as a present... you know, all the bits that come with Saudi style Sharia.

I am also a citizen of both USA and Russia, and thus have a rather unique opportunity to look at things from a distance - or else i'd go schizophrenic.

outrager

The easiest way for USA to help stop Syria civil war: do nothing. Simply stop helping the rebels, and Assad will eventually win.

The quickest way to save hundreds of thousands lives and stop the war: actually help Assad. Better yet, press Saudi and Qatar to stop supplying hardcore sunni jihadists with weapons and cash, and the war will be over with in a heartbit.

One can always argue that the same idea applies in reverse, i.e. if Russia and Iran stopped helping Assad, the rebels would eventually win. This is probably true (even though Assad seems to have the upper hand now). However, the result would be the opposite: if Assad wins the war ends. If rebels win, the infighting between them and the fully sectarian war will go on indefinitely.

This is rather obvious if your priority, as often claimed in mass media, were to save innocent lives. Unfortunately, none of the cynical and evil players of this chess game (USA, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran etc) care about that.

My perspective and emotional involvement in this matter comes, among other things, from driving all over Syria a few years before the war. I have particularly enjoyed little bits like visiting dozens of amazing old churches in Aleppo, or buying a bottle of wine in a corner shop and getting a free corkscrew as a present... you know, all the bits that come with Saudi style Sharia.

I am also a citizen of both USA and Russia, and thus have a rather unique opportunity to look at things from a distance - or else i'd go schizophrenic.

Interesting, I spent 2 years in 2007 traveling around Syria. You just don't run into too many Americans on the streets of Damascus or Aleppo. Great country - great people, seemed to loved Americans, just not so much the American government. Outside of being detained by the Syrian army for hours and hours at the Syrian boarder station, things were great.

It really sucks they destroyed the souk in aAleppo, I also hope the Baron hotel in Aleppo survives. I would love to back.

outrager

And then all suspected rebels will be hunted down and executed, much as Egypt has been laying down death penalties en masse.

I'm not sure contributing to this outcome qualifies as an improvement, though it does mesh well with a pattern of encouraging uprisings and then pulling out support, leaving them to twist in the wind.

outrager

And then all suspected rebels will be hunted down and executed, much as Egypt has been laying down death penalties en masse.

I'm not sure contributing to this outcome qualifies as an improvement, though it does mesh well with a pattern of encouraging uprisings and then pulling out support, leaving them to twist in the wind.