NorrinRadd

Another reason to take Dubai off your visit list

NorrinRadd

Their conditions sound pretty fucked up. Sounds like Dubai has 'shitty' human rights, what a surprise.

What I found a bit interesting is they sell the rural workers on making 300GBP a month, get to Dubai and only get paid 150GBP a month...but that is still like 2x the average Bengali income....and I read a couple sources that said $50 a month is considered a decent income for rural families...only 32GBP a month...

Not a terrible deal....if they got paid of course, and weren't forced to live in squalor.

"Despite the rapid economic growth, about 43.3% of the country still lives below the international poverty line which means living on less than $1.25 per day"

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/profiles/BGD.html

It certainly makes you think twice about getting your ass all the way up in the worlds biggest building that was built by some under-nourished, unpaid, unskilled Bengali migrant worker who is forced to sleep in his own shit.

He's probably not the most safety minded, quality control conscious worker around.

NorrinRadd

It's hilarious to see all the Americans in a fit about human rights violations, yet aren't bothered at all by the children who made their iPhones and paid even less.

The company managing workers and contracting scumbag agents is no different than the thousands of American companies who squeeze every penny they can out of people already in extreme poverty.

If you really think this is a reason not to visit Dubai, you should probably surrender your US passport also.

Bignugget

It certainly makes you think twice about getting your ass all the way up in the worlds biggest building that was built by some under-nourished, unpaid, unskilled Bengali migrant worker who is forced to sleep in his own shit.

He's probably not the most safety minded, quality control conscious worker around.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where your shoes were made? Do you know who made most of the household items in your home? Hate to bring you back to reality, but its that same unskilled malnourished worker ;)

This is just a product of western capitalism, its funny to see people so upset because its the arabs doing it :)

skinnay

Just out of curiosity, do you know where your shoes were made? Do you know who made most of the household items in your home? Hate to bring you back to reality, but its that same unskilled malnourished worker ;)

This is just a product of western capitalism, its funny to see people so upset because its the arabs doing it :)

You misunderstood.

I am all for cheap underpaid laborers.

For my shoes, household appliances, electronics, etc.....which I don't have to worry about collapsing and sending me plummeting to my death from thousands of feet.

I would think twice about climbing a BIGASS SKYSCRAPER built by the aforementioned workers.

Not about wearing the shoes they made.

for self preservation reasons, not reasons of moral indignation.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where your shoes were made? Do you know who made most of the household items in your home? Hate to bring you back to reality, but its that same unskilled malnourished worker Wink

This is just a product of western capitalism, its funny to see people so upset because its the arabs doing it

My footwear is made in Canada, Mexico, or right here in the USofA. The biggest issue is my electronics. You really can't avoid exploitive labour for mobiles and laptops.

For your "you're only upset because it's sand people", that's not true. I've written politicians on out trade agreements with China, among others, and would like to see them correct their Human rights issues, from labour to political freedom to individual liberty, but that's true of most countries.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*