skinnay

Land of the Free: This Week's Police Beatings

ibx

This is why we need guns.

Please explain how a gun would have in any imaginable way led to better outcome in these incidents.

Actually, I think he was making a more global, non- incident-specific comment, about the value and effect of the Second Amendment.

Assuming the usual vitriol & sloganeering can stay out of the debate (which I doubt), I'd like to see how the debate plays out.

Actually, I think he was making a more global, non- incident-specific comment, about the value and effect of the Second Amendment.

Assuming the usual vitriol & sloganeering can stay out of the debate (which I doubt), I'd like to see how the debate plays out.

Maybe the Poster should use an argument instead of screaming "MORE GUNS" in any given situation.

The value of the second Amendment is imaginary freedom, the effect is 30.000 gun deaths a year.. What that has to do with any of the above is beyond me...

ibx

Maybe the Poster should use an argument instead of screaming "MORE GUNS" in any given situation.

Well, I'm the last one who I think even he wants coming to his defense; but I will say that, despite his abbreviated choice of words, I had no difficulty understanding the full import of what he meant.

The value of the second Amendment is imaginary freedom, the effect is 30.000 gun deaths a year.. What that has to do with any of the above is beyond me...

Then you don't understand the value of the Second Amendment, and therefore you're only half correct. One value of the Second Amendment is having enough weapons in the hands of otherwise peaceful, law abiding citizens that government and its agents will think twice before using its superior firepower to impose tyranny on the common citizenry. It's also a means to allow the common citizenry to supplement the formal police and have a physical part in their own defense against criminals, since there are so many armed criminals, and the police can't be everywhere. IMO, those are not imaginary freedoms, they are real ones.

But, like most things, it does come at a price; and this is where you're partially correct. The price Americans have paid for this is, in part, the high number of gun deaths there are. Life is all about compromises, and this is one of them. In the US, at least, the policy debate in mainly over where to draw the line to balance the competing interests as best as possible.

skinnay

Innocent man begs for life as police beat him to death; police confiscate video from all witnesses:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/349894

Woman beaten by police while filming police beating another person:
http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/05/10/57519.htm

When you put up something that has its basis in facts I'll be looking more closely. There are bad cops out there but I don't think it's the majority.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

ibx

This is why we need guns.

Please explain how a gun would have in any imaginable way led to better outcome in these incidents.

Fewer cops with murderous tendencies?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Then you don't understand the value of the Second Amendment, and therefore you're only half correct. One value of the Second Amendment is having enough weapons in the hands of otherwise peaceful, law abiding citizens that government and its agents will think twice before using its superior firepower to impose tyranny on the common citizenry. It's also a means to allow the common citizenry to supplement the formal police and have a physical part in their own defense against criminals, since there are so many armed criminals, and the police can't be everywhere. IMO, those are not imaginary freedoms, they are real ones.

I know that that was/is the purpose of the Second Amendment. I just think people are forgetting that this was 200 years ago where armies and local militias fought with essentially the same weapons, muzzle loaded muskets with bayonets. In this day and age that whole line of thinking is ridiculous, today the government has an air force, drones, tanks and an almost completely militarized police making this form of "freedom" purely imaginary. The self defense issue is debatable.

If the police brutality in the US shows one thing, it's that the government does not think twice before using it's superior firepower. They will even shoot much quicker because they are rightly afraid that every body is armed.

The US has also whole bunch of anti-terrorism laws that violate the basic principles of a constitutional democracy and will use these mercilessly against it's own citizens as soon as they show smallest sign of dissent. Nobody has picked up a gun to defend any rights so far and it won't happen since most people already consider the US to be the greatest and freesest country on earth, what is there to rebel against?