linebckr83

Kansas tells Washington to suck it

wmw999

Teach kids that no God exists at all?

Don't address the issue of God. God is a faith matter, and faith is not for schools. Schools are for facts, math, science, etc. It's entirely correct to teach that evolution is a theory, but once you go into specific alternative theories (like intelligent design), then you have to decide if you want the "7 days" version, the "world on an elephant" version, etc.

There's a world of difference between not teaching that God exists, and teaching that there is no God.

Wendy P.

intelligent design is not a scientific theory. It should not be taught in science class.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Nope. I'm not claiming to know what is or isn't the truth, but to say something is absolutely not true, you must have solid indesputable evidence. I'm anxious to see what he knows that the rest of the world doesn't know.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

linebckr83

Nope. I'm not claiming to know what is or isn't the truth, but to say something is absolutely not true, you must have solid indesputable evidence. I'm anxious to see what he knows that the rest of the world doesn't know.

That's not how science works. :S

It's already been addressed, but in case you missed it - teach your kids all you like about whichever skyman you're into. Separation of church and state says keep that shit the hell away from the classroom. End of discussion.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

There are a number of studies which disprove various facets of intelligent design (note that in real science, you don't prove that something is true, you simply bolster the likelihood of its truth by failing to disprove it). And any good theory can have experiments set up to disprove any of their points.
3 common tenets of "intelligent design" are (quoted from Wolfram's Math)
  • The world around us is filled with both order and complexity -- "ordered complexity," if you will
  • such ordered complexity could not have arisen by accident.
    Therefore
  • there is, or was, some intelligence who designed this world
    The same web page cited above has a pretty good discussion of the three points, without trying to claim that there is no God or anything else. The thing is, that if you have a multi-point theory, once you disprove part of the theory, you have to either adjust the theory (if it's complex) or discard it (if it's simple). And there are a number of examples of complexity that come from simple rules of math.

Note that the theory of evolution says nothing whatsoever about whether there is a God or not. God is not the least bit incompatible with the theory of evolution -- if nothing else, couldn't God have put the machinery in motion, if you believe in God?

The problem comes with trying to prove that God exists. Even the Bible is quite clear that faith trumps proof in Biblical terms, for people who adhere to it (ahem) religiously. Trying to conflate the two worlds goes against both of them.

Intelligent design is not a theory in that its elements cannot all be set up for disproving.

This is not an attack on faith. Really. It's an attack on bad science. Good science has given us plenty of things -- medicines we didn't used to have, air travel, improvements in design. Let's not reduce our ability to generate new advancements by hobbling what science is.

Wendy P.
    There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Very good points. Like I said, I was privately schooled so I'm well versed in the idea that evolution was set into motion by some supreme being.

My point was simply that no one knows for sure if this person exists or not. If so, organized religion would crumble.
    "Are you coming to the party?
    Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
    Flying Hellfish #828
    Dudist #52