Obama trashed on 60 Minutes

No, it's not. I lost my job the same way.

Of course, I knew my job was going away for 5 years, since Bush cancelled the shuttle program. That was announced in 2004 or 2005, Most of the people laid off were shuttle-dedicated, and many of them weren't competitive with younger (i.e. cheaper, more flexible) people with recent technical degrees and experience with current tools.

Working for the space program was pretty special. We had people who kept working into their 70's just because it was cool. I had a friend who, when offered the job, said yes. The company asked him if he wanted to know the starting salary, and he said it didn't matter.

Candidate Obama gave a political answer saying that no one would lose their job. That's a BS thing to do, but it was never true. Frankly, I knew many of the skills I had were not transferable without updating. We were working on 30-40 year old technology, in an extremely specialized (and non-automated by modern standards) environment. We were doing really special things with it -- the space program really is an institution.

It's a very tough environment. COBRA is expensive for the people who need it. It pains me to say it, but it was time to cancel the space shuttle, and it really was time to turn it over to commercial enterprises. It's been handled poorly, but it's moving forward.

Edit to add: I'm fine. I'd gotten a certification to get another job, but ended up retiring. We'd planned for my income to go down significantly, so I just retired instead. Life is good this way. I was good at what I did, but that's not a job that still exists; kind of like buggy whip manufacture.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We already know how you stand on Obama from another post:

Real class.

[url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=133405;

Given some of your own posts, you may want to move out of that glass house before you start throwing stones, pal.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

60 Minutes was quite critical Of Pres. Obama in that segment, which was surprising for that show. That's what my post was about. If you disagree with 60 Minutes, take it up with them.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

We already know how you stand on Obama from another post:

Real class.

[url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=133405;

Thank you for reposting a funny attachment:D:D:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG