quade

Gunpowder

Reloading a batch of .308 today, and noticed this ingredient list on the powder label (attached).

Google those code numbers next to the ingredient names and you get all kinds of info about the chemical composition, and suppliers.

sort of. mixing ratios do matter greatly, and in the end of days scenario being floated out, you'll more easily find gunpowder than these ingredients. Or you have to go to the originals in nature.

sort of. mixing ratios do matter greatly . . .

No kiddin'!

The other huge part is the process of HOW you mix them together. Just knowing the chemical formula or ingredients for something won't necessarily give you the end product you're looking for.

For instance, I could give you a list of ingredients and even the ratios of to mix them for a croissant, but unless you know the process, it ain't gonna be one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have not read this entire thread but will post an answer to the original question.

I have taken a break from fireworks making to learn to skydive. I make lots of black powder type products ever year. Black powder to break large shells is the most common black powder product that I make.

Very, very few could come up with the means to make modern smokeless gun powder that would work well. You might make a little batch, but from one batch the other the performance would be all over the place, I would guess.

Black powder a person can make if you have the ingredients. Maybe you could find some sulfur. The charcoal you can make. The potassium nitrate you can make but it is VERY labor intensive and pretty tough to get even a fair product. I have not tried to make potassium nitrate but from reading old texts, it was a huge job. But in the civil war days, small factories did exist.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I doubt if anyone would be able to reproduce much of the high tech gadgetry used in modern firearms. Trying to produce powder, brass, primers, or firearms yourself would be almost impossible for the average Joe.

When a person's stockpile of guns and ammo are gone, it would be time to turn to a more primitive weapon.

Most people could build a bow and shootable arrows. That would make more sense than trying to make your own ammo or rifle from scratch...