dreamdancer

The Beast Is Starved: Welcome to the Next Great Depression

Go cry to your mommy

go f**k yourself...

:D

Must have tweaked a nerve huh!

In any event
You have not replyed to the fact that worse than what you want to happen would only serve to cover the debt at the current spending levels for 24 days.

Why?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

http://en.wikipedia.org/...stribution_of_wealth

Hey, that's really good stuff! To be clear, my understanding is you're in favor of confiscating private property?

That's rather a given.

Progressives and/or losers are big fans of confiscation. The results of said confiscation in practice, however, are rather uniform.

Progressives and/or losers are big fans of confiscation. The results of said confiscation in practice, however, are rather uniform.

Agreed. It sickens me to hear stories where a family has worked for generations to build a company, then the dad dies and the government gets 50% of it just because the dad died. What's fair about that? Oh, it means the lazy people get to stay lazy because apparently they have a right to be lazy... It's simply wrong.

Right now, my simple definition of a human right is something that doesn't cost other people's money. There are far too many "human rights" out there that cost other people's money.
We are all engines of karma

Agreed. It sickens me to hear stories where a family has worked for generations to build a company, then the dad dies and the government gets 50% of it just because the dad died.

don't listen to stories then...

(have you heard the one about the boy who cried wolf)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

(have you heard the one about the boy who cried wolf)

Yes
From you

here

nearly every day you post your fantasy line(s)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

i advocate a hefty, pro-capitalist, inheritance tax

What would you suggest that be?

I'm still reading through the article you posted. Good stuff. Here's a quote from it:

Wealth Inequality and Class

However, compared to most countries, upward wealth mobility in the U.S. remains quite high. For instance, the U.S. Income Mobility Study conducted by the Treasury Department found the following -

The Treasury study examined a huge sample of 96,700 income tax returns from 1996 and 2005 for Americans over the age of 25. The study tracks what happened to these tax filers over this 10-year period. One of the notable, and reassuring, findings is that nearly 58% of filers who were in the poorest income group in 1996 had moved into a higher income category by 2005. Nearly 25% jumped into the middle or upper-middle income groups, and 5.3% made it all the way to the highest quintile.

Of those in the second lowest income quintile, nearly 50% moved into the middle quintile or higher, and only 17% moved down. This is a stunning show of upward mobility, meaning that more than half of all lower-income Americans in 1996 had moved up the income scale in only 10 years.

This is why people from all over the world want to come to this country. They can work hard, take risks, and enjoy the fruits of their labor. Let's hope it stays that way.

more for you...

This episode serves as a reminder that central banks are political institutions, with a political agenda, and that independent central banks tend to be captured (at least "cognitively") by the banks that they are supposed to regulate. And matters are little better on the other side of the Atlantic. There, the extreme right threatened to shut down the US government, confirming what game theory suggests: when those who are irrationally committed to destruction if they don't get their way confront rational individuals, the former prevail.

As a result, President Barack Obama acquiesced in an unbalanced debt-reduction strategy, with no tax increases - not even for the millionaires who have done so well during the past two decades and not even by eliminating tax giveaways to oil companies, which undermine economic efficiency and contribute to environmental degradation.

Optimists argue that the short run macroeconomic effect of the deal to raise America's debt ceiling and prevent sovereign default will be limited - roughly $US25 billion ($A24 billion) in expenditure cuts in the coming year. But the payroll tax cut (which put more than $US100 billion into the pockets of ordinary Americans) was not renewed and surely business, anticipating the contractionary effects down the line, will be even more reluctant to lend.

The end of the stimulus itself is contractionary. And, with housing prices continuing to fall, GDP growth faltering, and unemployment remaining stubbornly high (one in six Americans who would like a full-time job still cannot get one), more stimulus, not austerity, is needed - for the sake of balancing the budget as well. The single most important driver of deficit growth is weak tax revenues, owing to poor economic performance; the single best remedy would be to put America back to work. The recent debt deal is a move in the wrong direction.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/08/08-6

Again, you're advocating raising taxes. We've already demonstrated that you'd have to take all corporate profits and all taxable revenue from millionaires and billionaires just to cover this years version of Obama's vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...stribution_of_wealth

Finished reading this article. Again, good stuff. This article demonstrates that generating wealth typically takes generations. Families need to have their act together, and keep it together. The vast majority of American wealth is tied up in the family's home.

You're advocating confiscating that wealth when someone dies? You haven't suggested a figure, yet, that you think would be sufficient to fund Obamanian visions. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Again, you're advocating raising taxes. We've already demonstrated that you'd have to take all corporate profits and all taxable revenue from millionaires and billionaires.

and you're completely ignoring an inheritance tax which is on wealth and not revenue...

and you're completely ignoring an inheritance tax which is on wealth and not revenue...

I think it's time that you put the computer down. Screetscooby has pretty much owned you on numbers and facts (some from you own posts). It's clear that you advocate income redistribution. You would be much happier living in the Soviet Union. Then you could post on the Internet all day about how great it is!

I'm not ignoring it at all. I'm waiting for you to propose what you think that tax rate should be.

enough to pay off the deficit - i would say an 80% inheritance tax on the top 20% would do it...

what a lot of dribble - the wealthy have got richer and richer until the top 1% own 90% of the country's wealth - not a healthy state...

The above is an earlier quote from you. You're now showing that's not the case. We've both learned something today. I think it's a good day whenever I learn something. Thank you.

1% own 40% of wealth - 21trillion

Try as I may, I can't find this breakdown in your article. Where are you getting it from?

Another question... Are you expecting all of the top 1% to die this year? What happens next year?

Are you expecting all of the top 1% to die this year? What happens next year?

Even if they did, these folks are smart enough to hold their assets in trusts, the management of which is assumed by the survivors w/o a taxable change in ownership. Even many middle-class Americans do this--it works for me.

1% own 40% of wealth - 21trillion

Try as I may, I can't find this breakdown in your article. Where are you getting it from?

Another question... Are you expecting all of the top 1% to die this year? What happens next year?

say 1% die a year in a decade that's 2trillion :)
(and all from dead people who can't take it with them anyway)