CornishChris

Murdoch & News Corp

I'm mildly surprised that there has been nothing on here about the Murdoch/News Corp issues in the UK.

In short one of the newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch has been involved in a high profile phone hacking scandal. This started several years ago with them hacking the answer phones of celebrities in an attempt to get stories. This was investigated weakly several years ago.

In the last few weeks it has come out that parties working on behalf of the paper tried, and in many cases succeeded to hack the phones of 9/11 victims; families of soldiers killed in action in Iraq & Afghanistan; the prime minister and, worst of all, child murder victims. With the latter, in one instance, the answer-phone became full and so the interfering parties deleted messages in order to allow more to be left. This prompted hope on behalf of the girls parents that she may still be alive and checking her phone. She was not and her killer was finally bought to justice last month.

The fallout of this has resulted in the arrest of the then editor of the offending paper, The News of the World. News Corp has closed the paper in question resulting in the loss of many jobs but it's essentially a rebrand and some element will relaunch. The media pressure, added to that from parliament, has caused News Corporation to pull out of a planned takeover of British Sky Broadcasting (the largest TV platform in the UK and operator of dozens of channels).

What does everyone think? To what level can a paper dig for information for a story? Is Murdoch evil and unfit to run a news company as much of the media is making out or is it nothing to do with him?

Timeline of the events:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14124020

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I'm mildly surprised that there has been nothing on here about the Murdoch/News Corp issues in the UK.

There HAS been a thread about Rupert on here for several days now.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What does everyone think? To what level can a paper dig for information for a story? Is Murdoch evil and unfit to run a news company as much of the media is making out or is it nothing to do with him?

Timeline of the events:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14124020

A certain very fringe right poster.. has stepped up to the plate in defense of his OH SO VERY conservative ICON whom he deems worthy of worship.

How dare the rest of the world attack the the poor misunderstood conservative News of the World as he wishes to hear it....

Every cent that PNAC scumbag loses along with any of the assholes that prop him up financially is a great moment in history.

The guy deserves nothing less than a date with an Iron Maiden.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

I loved some of the comments after Murdoch & Son's appearance before the select committee: rupert = mr burns, james = smithers, rebecca brooks = side show bob and even krusty the clown throws a pie. Irony is that the simpsons tv series is owned by Fox TV.

and one last thing - I think this thread will become more active once the US authorities (FBI, etc...) start to expose the illegal practices of News Corp on US soil. Hacking phones of 9/11 victims, firemen. I hope this is the start of the downfall of the Murdoch dynasty. Goodbye Fox News.

and one last thing - I think this thread will become more active once the US authorities (FBI, etc...) start to expose the illegal practices of News Corp on US soil. Hacking phones of 9/11 victims, firemen. I hope this is the start of the downfall of the Murdoch dynasty. Goodbye Fox News.

Naw, Murdoch, et al have been saved by the Oslo bomber/shooter. Woudn't be surprised if it wasn't set up by News Corp.:S
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.