skygypsie

Largest growing group seeking public assistance !

>Why did you think it woudln't? Money is the driving force of the
>Obamination.

Bravo! Another brainless attack on Obama. A new word even! Almost as clever as calling Bush a "shrub." (Get it? He's a plant.)

Would you like to go for the trifecta?

Sure, how's your blind faith working for you Bill?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>But why is it that this extremely important skill is not taught to High School kids?

It is, but they call it "math." The basics of personal finance management are pretty easy to learn.

>It's probably not taught because the teachers themselves are clueless to this topic.

Well, more because it's not a course. I mean, high schools don't teach a "wash your hands" class either,

Actually, last year, my kid took an entire course in high school (public high school) devoted to the basics of personal finance management. Next thing we know, she's quoting Dave Ramsey at us and telling us our approach to household finances is all wrong. Her financial literacy advanced about thirty-fold thanks to that course. How quickly the worm turns.

how's your blind faith working for you

Depends: Clapton, Winwood, or Baker?

Bill, you really shouldn't switch screen names l;ike that - the Mods will ban you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Personal finance is one of the most important skills a person will use in their lifetime. But why is it that this extremely important skill is not taught to High School kids? It's probably not taught because the teachers themselves are clueless to this topic. Unless the parents instill this ever so important skill to their kids from an early age (which they should be doing), when these kids grow up and leave home for University (or leave home for whatever else) they have no concept as to what is good debt, what is bad debt and how it all should be managed.

We live in a "I want it now, how much will my payment be?" society versus "I want it, I will save for it and once I have saved enough money for it, I will buy it". I am as guilty as the next person. Two years ago I purchased my German made 911 sports car. At the time I asked myself, can I wait the two years to save up the money? and I said fuck it I bought it on credit. Of course this is my only debt (I am lucky enough that over the years I paid off my mortgage in full and have no debt except for my car). Anyway, society's parents have failed their children in regard to personal finance, because somewhere down the line in the last 20-40 years parents stopped being good parents in preparing their children for the world. Monkey see, monkey do. I want it now ... how much will my payments be?

But I guess having multiple Liberal Art History degrees and a student debt of 100k is much more important than knowing the difference between debt and a deficit. Society is heading downhill real fast and it all can be traced to poor parenting.

Absolutely agreed, it starts with the parenting, or lack of sit down, explain as you go...guidance on life's skills &/or consequences !
However, I don't hold teachers accountable.
Just earlier this year; yes, gathered from a newscast, Texas schools & boards were to hold & decide the standard, nationwide, what material would be cut, or continued in the national curriculum !
Regardless of how Lucky, or Billvon see it, this thread's intent was not intended as a political bashing, nor of who's best suited, but since it keeps unscrewing towards that,
I'll ' lefty lucy' my comments towards it !
Since, most who are parents of the same age group of young up & coming adults; referred to, are the same parents who've voted in the last 2 administrations, where do we go from here ?
But, then again what were our options ?
Personally, it was obvious, stick with the party administration that wasn't working, or either take my chances to a 'shake it up' electee by staying true to my party !
I am affirmed in my feeling there are NO electees, nor elected, who are true to the People as a whole.
They ALL have only their own agendas, but feel free to cause & effect decisions that harm the people as a whole ! Though, the special interests groups, corporate america & migratory voters obviouslly stand to, & do, benefit from decisions of both administrations.
We have absolutely no control, nor say so, of what or how, these elected administrator's decide, nor spend. We have just hoped for the best outcome.
Defensive voting hasn't helped, voting within our Party hasn't helped.
I've considered myself a Democrat for the last 35 years !
That brings us back to the grass roots of parenting, AND foresight, rather than after thought, of the need for responsibilty in the up & coming silver spooned, or plastic spooned, adults who will be making OUR decisions, down the road !
Maybe "NO" needs to be said from the get go...to the tots, young adults & to ALL who are looking for the hand out, or bail out !
I stand true to 'paying your dues', before you're entitled to receive, in all aspects of life !

The "Golden Rule" is in effect for discussions on Dropzone.com: Treat others as you would wish to be treated. We ask that you be professional and polite and respect our intention to create a friendly and inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome to participate. We do not wish to censor or control your opinions, but we will ensure that the policies of the board are respected. We reserve the right to delete, edit, or move posts at our discretion. (Note in particular that we have restrictions on where you may post advertising and how many times you may post the same message.)

The Forum Rules:
No personal attacks.

No jokes about or references to pedophilia. None.

No advertising in the forums.

Post to the correct forum and stay on topic.
" Mean people SUCK!"

The "Golden Rule" is in effect for discussions on Dropzone.com: Treat others as you would wish to be treated. We ask that you be professional and polite and respect our intention to create a friendly and inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome to participate. We do not wish to censor or control your opinions, but we will ensure that the policies of the board are respected. We reserve the right to delete, edit, or move posts at our discretion. (Note in particular that we have restrictions on where you may post advertising and how many times you may post the same message.)

The Forum Rules:
No personal attacks.

No jokes about or references to pedophilia. None.

No advertising in the forums.

Post to the correct forum and stay on topic.

Could you at least pretend to care about the thread & add something to the topic, when you RE ? :|

How, or where did any violation of Forum Rules ( against you ) go down on this thread ? :S

Crimini...quit being a big cry baby, would ya :D