chutem

Riots erupt in Athens

It's a high cost of living place because it's a high wage place.

No doubt those two factors are locked in some kind of a death spiral. I'll agree that ultimately it's unsustainable.

The problem is that often you cannot GET RID OF lousy employees.

That's one of the Achilles's heals of unions unfortunately. In the case of for-profit companies, I like the idea of tying wages to profits. Unproductive employees wouldn't be as coddled, as they would decrease profitability and so every-bodies paycheck would suffer. I've no idea how to apply that to public transit, though.

It's pretty much an example of what governments do. They steal money from things like maintenance of the water system to fund pet projects and then require a multi-billion dollar bond to repair it.

There's no responsibility or accountability. The problems get pushed off to the future.

Sure, because ultimately that's what get them elected. A chicken in every pot, and nobody has to pay. Ain't America grand! I do think the politicians who campaign on tax cuts, without offering any specifics on what they will cut to balance the books (because they either don't have a clue, or don't actually plan to cut anything significant, or are too cowardly to speak honestly abut their ideas), are a big part of the problem. They only foster the mistaken notion that taxes can be cut without cutting services, and hey! who wouldn't like that? Instead they cut revenues and then find they can't cut services, and things only get worse. Honesty doesn't play very well in Peoria, or anywhere else in America politics, unfortunately. Just ask Jimmy Carter.

I don't live in SF, so I'll have to take your and kelpdiver's word regarding the state of affairs there.

I do think the politicians who campaign on tax cuts, without offering any specifics on what they will cut to balance the books (because they either don't have a clue, or don't actually plan to cut anything significant, or are too cowardly to speak honestly abut their ideas), are a big part of the problem. They only foster the mistaken notion that taxes can be cut without cutting services, and hey! who wouldn't like that?

The tax cut Kool Aid is very popular, you only have to read this forum to see that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.