d16842

Europe Cap and Trade $7.4 Billion Fraud

http://www.sphere.com/world/article/europes-cap-and-trade-model-loses-billions-to-fraud/19274092

Did you guys notice that Europe has lost $7.4 Billion to organized crime in thier Cap and Trade system? First it causes the loss of many jobs, even industries to China and India, and now the plan itself has been raided by crime and fraud?

The more I learn about cap and trade, the more stupid it looks. From here it seems to be more a power play to hide massive new taxes, than than an environmental improvement. Unless all nations play by the same output rules, it is meaningless to the environment. The CO2, and the jobs, will just move to China and India. And where will be be then?
Tom B

How has Ronald Reagan's cap and trade system for controlling SO2 emissions worked out in the USA? I don't seem to be hearing much about acid rain any more, like I did in the '70s.

yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/bdf208410089b5c185257689005e2577?OpenDocument

Since the 1990s, SO2 emissions have dropped 40%, and according to the Pacific Research Institute, acid rain levels have dropped 65% since 1976.

In 2007, total SO2 emissions were 8.9 million tons, achieving the program's long term goal ahead of the 2010 statutory deadline. In 2008, SO2 emissions dropped even lower--to 7.6 million tons.

The EPA estimates that by 2010, the overall costs of complying with the program for businesses and consumers will be $1 billion to $2 billion a year, only one fourth of what was originally predicted.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How has Ronald Reagan's cap and trade system for controlling SO2 emissions worked out in the USA? I don't seem to be hearing much about acid rain any more, like I did in the '70s.

yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/bdf208410089b5c185257689005e2577?OpenDocument

Since the 1990s, SO2 emissions have dropped 40%, and according to the Pacific Research Institute, acid rain levels have dropped 65% since 1976.

In 2007, total SO2 emissions were 8.9 million tons, achieving the program's long term goal ahead of the 2010 statutory deadline. In 2008, SO2 emissions dropped even lower--to 7.6 million tons.

The EPA estimates that by 2010, the overall costs of complying with the program for businesses and consumers will be $1 billion to $2 billion a year, only one fourth of what was originally predicted.

The link you posted is centered around power plants/electricity production. It would be impossible to ship those jobs to China. Other manufacturing jobs, not so much.

Right. Acid Rain, a looming monster of past, was substantially mitigated by the onset of the Rust Belt. When the steel manufacturing plants went tits up, a substantial producer of SO2 went with it. We don't hear about the collapsing steel industry anymore. It collapsed back in, oh, the 1970's and 80's.

I'd note that Congress passed the first of the laws you are talking about - in 1980. TheAcid Deposition Act. Interestingly, Reagan did his job as President and went about enforcing such laws as passed by Congress.

The fun part is when emissions trading sets up a false market with excessive expectations. Europe has done a wonderful job of making sure that its proposed limits are easy to reach. Ever notice how they like set reductions for 1990 benchmark? Yep. Right before the fall of the Soviet Union. While Europe was slowing down the US economy was doing well. Add to that the massive pollution of the Soviet Union and inefficiencies, Europe looked sparklingly good simply because of the end of the Soviets. Try applying a 1992 benchmark and they would have balked.

Cap and trade. Yeah, probably a better way of doing things than going place to place and forcing lesser production, etc.

My wife is hotter than your wife.