Boycott the new Indiana Jones movie

You equate a baked over 3rd sequel on par with the religious texts followed by billions of people?

What difference for me should it make how many people follow those texts if I don't give shit about 'em?

So explain to me how this works. If something is important to you then it deserves respect, but based on your previous posts, if some other topic does not engender your approval then it is fine to piss all over it. I will agree mutual respect is important to a point, but people who have a double standard don't have a leg to stand on.

So explain to me how this works. If something is important to you then it deserves respect,

Respect is for someone, not for something. Things itself do not deserve respect.

but based on your previous posts, if some other topic does not engender your approval then it is fine to piss all over it.

As I said, respect is for people, not for things. So yet, it's fine to say that the Bible is full of shit, and it's fine to say the Bible is the Word Of God Everyone Must Follow. It is, however, not fine to call someone a stupid idiot just because he believes in what's written in the Bible. And it's not fine to call someone an immoral asshole because he does not.

Discussing the subject is usually more productive than discussing a person.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Respect is for someone, not for something. Things itself do not deserve respect.

Wow, that's something new... :S So, say, for example, you may have no respect whatsoever for some criminal motherf@cker (i.e. someone), maybe murderer or rapist. Does it automatically mean you do not respect their right (i.e. something) for a fair trial?
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

I respect some people's opinions, but other people's I don't.

I have a healthy respect for gravity and how quickly it can turn a person to dust.

I respect my own shortcomings and I try to remain cognizant of the ones that can bring me down.

There are all kinds of things a person can respect. But I haven't read the rest of the thread, so I'll stop here.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Wow, that's something new... :S So, say, for example, you may have no respect whatsoever for some criminal motherf@cker (i.e. someone), maybe murderer or rapist. Does it automatically mean you do not respect their right (i.e. something) for a fair trial?

I personally might not. But there is the law for that.

So, it's pretty much about semantics.

Well, that was your example :)

The original post I replied to talked about one meaning of the word "respect", which was "honour, have respect for". You're now talking about different meaning of the same word, which is "abide, follow". Of course if you bring those two together, it just doesn't match since there are people who do not respect the law (in terms of "do not hold this law in respect" - and even actually working on getting it struck down), but at the same time those people respect the law (in terms of they abide the law even though the law in question might be stupid).

Well, that was your example :)

The original post I replied to talked about one meaning of the word "respect", which was "honour, have respect for". You're now talking about different meaning of the same word, which is "abide, follow". Of course if you bring those two together, it just doesn't match since there are people who do not respect the law (in terms of "do not hold this law in respect" - and even actually working on getting it struck down), but at the same time those people respect the law (in terms of they abide the law even though the law in question might be stupid).

Just like I said -- semantics. :) Frankly, I see no point in getting into endless casuistic exercises...

Dixi.
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

"Members of Russia's Communist Party are calling for a nationwide boycott of the new Indiana Jones movie, saying it aims to undermine communist ideology and distort history."

Yeah, of course they're upset about the movie doing that. Everyone knows it's the Communist Party that claims the right to undermine communist ideology and distort history! :D
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

As I said, respect is for people, not for things. So yet, it's fine to say that the Bible is full of shit, and it's fine to say the Bible is the Word Of God Everyone Must Follow. It is, however, not fine to call someone a stupid idiot just because he believes in what's written in the Bible. And it's not fine to call someone an immoral asshole because he does not.

Discussing the subject is usually more productive than discussing a person.

So are you saying is OK to call Russian propagandist who wants to rewrite history, full of shit. But is not OK to call you full of shit as an individual who respects Russian propagandist?

So are you saying is OK to call Russian propagandist who wants to rewrite history, full of shit.

Depending on the reason he wants to rewrite history. If he found something which supports such a change, then I wouldn't. But if he wants to cross out the crusades so the young souls wouldn't get bad picture of Christianity, then yes, I'd call him full of shit.

But is not OK to call you full of shit as an individual who respects Russian propagandist?

It is OK as well.