shermanator

racial identification

Do you mark your race when asked on forms: example: job application, insurence company survey, school registration

Ignorant Canadian on board here ... but I have to ask ...

Do they (meaning companies, insurance companies and schools) REALLY ask that question where you live???

Yes, in the US, they do. The information is cataloged for purposes of EOE oversight. It's voluntary though, and in theory is not tracked for purposes of whether or not to hire etc.

I have NEVER had that question asked of me. Then again, I haven't applied for a job in 18 years (but I know that where *I* work it's not a question on our application form) .

That is likely because Canada has a better way of dealing with the issue: by not asking the question in the first place.

Well, they don't specifically ask "that" question but this appears below every job posting on their website.

The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

If you hire on the basis of merit, do you have to state everything AFTER that?? I guess in this day and age, you do. I'm not sure WHY they have to state all that but there must be a reason. Which is sad.

I do recall that the above statement was a bit different when I applied though ... it stated something like "we encourage applications from all qualified women, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities" (or something like that). Guess they've progressed since they now include men. ;)

Oh the "PC" world that we live in. :S:S
'Shell

Do you mark your race when asked on forms: example: job application, insurence company survey, school registration

Ignorant Canadian on board here ... but I have to ask ...

Do they (meaning companies, insurance companies and schools) REALLY ask that question where you live???

Yes, in the US, they do. The information is cataloged for purposes of EOE oversight. It's voluntary though, and in theory is not tracked for purposes of whether or not to hire etc.

I have NEVER had that question asked of me. Then again, I haven't applied for a job in 18 years (but I know that where *I* work it's not a question on our application form) .

That is likely because Canada has a better way of dealing with the issue: by not asking the question in the first place.

Well, they don't specifically ask "that" question but this appears below every job posting on their website.

The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

If you hire on the basis of merit, do you have to state everything AFTER that?? I guess in this day and age, you do. I'm not sure WHY they have to state all that but there must be a reason. Which is sad.

Maybe when some classes of person have been the subject of discrimination for generations, members of that class need to be told.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.