steveorino

Philosophy -- Religion Question

From my personal experience, it seems that those who "find God," or some form of spirituality, are the ones who are most likely to recover. (Which I guess is what Steve is getting at by looking for these quotes?)

And I think we need a much greater understanding of how the human brain works before we'll make significant progress in treating addiciton.

Yes, I'm trying to get my patients to attend secondary support groups after they graduate CD IOP. I know quotes from Paul will not help the non christians as well quotes from Buddha will not impress fundamental Christians. I'm trying to cover all my bases for my client's benefit.

steveOrino

Steve:

The single most powerful book I ever read was not the Bible, but Plato's Republic.

Set aside a few days and really read it. It's an impressive book at getting one to look at the world differently.

Yep! Although in my post I wanted it to be a little more mysterious!;):P:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I'm demonstrating empirical evidence shows 60-90% of addicts/alcoholics relapse without support groups.

Ah I see what ya doing - pimping therapy! Much like christianity

"Follow the bible or burn in hell"
"Follow my therapy or have a relapse"

Only joking man ;)
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

I received this quote in my "Daily Inspiration" email this morning, and it made me think of this thread, even though it's not the type of quote you were looking for. It's credited as a Hasidic saying:

The virtue of angels is that they cannot deteriorate; their flaw is that they cannot improve. Humanity's flaw is that we can deteriorate; but our virtue is that we can improve.

Also, here is an excerpt from an interview with Dr. George Vaillant (a name you probably recognize in your line of work): http://www.unhooked.com/trxpro/Vaillantp_composite_reduced.pdf. Again, not what you were looking for, but perhaps helpful.