NelKel

S&W MP AR15 Good or Bad?

I have been looking for a AR and there are many different manufactures out there. I know some favor Rock River, others favor Bushmaster and so on. But I would like to here opinions on the new S&W MP AR15 from people who may own one or have shot one. Thanks

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

What is the price? I am a bit confused because it seems to be the answer concerning overpriced. I have a dealer that offers MP for $950 and Bushmaster for $950. I was figuring the MP was the better of the two. I think that is a good price, What is the price in your area? Thanks

Also S&W has a new promotion. Buy a newrifle and get two extra 30 mags free. Buy a MP pistol or Sigma and get a $50 rebate and two high cap. mags free. offer ends Jan 31 08

Bushies are decent, but somewhat overpriced. RR makes a good rifle. I prefer these guys-

www.DPMSinc.com

because they actively support competition shooting. They have a great custom department for setting up a rifle just how you want it from barrel weight and twist to types of compensators.

All reputable companies have options lists pages long and there is a huge aftermarket for stuff. It really comes down to who you're more comfortable with. A couple of things to seriously consider, DPMS and others sell anti-walk pins for the AR. Shoot an AR for an extended time and you'll find the pins the trigger assembly rides on tend to walk out. Also think about a Cooley comp and a trigger by McCormick or JP. As for the mags offer, go to a local gun show, mags for the AR platform are extremely common in several capacities.

Bushies are decent, but somewhat overpriced. RR makes a good rifle. I prefer these guys-

www.DPMSinc.com

because they actively support competition shooting. They have a great custom department for setting up a rifle just how you want it from barrel weight and twist to types of compensators.

All reputable companies have options lists pages long and there is a huge aftermarket for stuff. It really comes down to who you're more comfortable with. A couple of things to seriously consider, DPMS and others sell anti-walk pins for the AR. Shoot an AR for an extended time and you'll find the pins the trigger assembly rides on tend to walk out. Also think about a Cooley comp and a trigger by McCormick or JP. As for the mags offer, go to a local gun show, mags for the AR platform are extremely common in several capacities.

The pins should never walk out if correctly installed.

Always make sure the spring legs are correctly seated in the notched groove on the pins.

I have seen alot if rifles with the legs improperly installed, usually with the legs laying across the bottom of the receiver.

But, who does the final drilling and finish? You used to be able to (and I assume you still can) buy an unfinished casting and rent a drilling jig to finish it yourself and build your own lower. Not just assemble but do the 51% build to qualify as home made.

I would suspect that even though many companies get lower castings from the same company that not all are created equal.

My bushmaster runs fine.

And about getting magazines at gun shows. When the ban was on that might have been well and good but there are so many variations between manufacturers and eras that a new shooter would be better served selecting between the many magazines available as new manufacture and buying them directly from any of the many supply companies. Around here what you would find a gun shows would either be junk or overpriced. Unfortunately I was something of a magazine junkie during the ban looking for good deals and have something over a hundred. Most never used. Luckily I never sprang for a C-Mag 100 rounder when they were $600. Now, new, $250. Of course I still haven't bothered.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Lewis Machine & Tool = LMT, Lauer, DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Armalite, Knights Armament, Barrett, ASA (prior to 2000)

Continental Machine & Tool = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske, (new) Century, Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI, Wilson Tactical, Grenadier Precision, Colt, Bushmaster (CM serial number)

L.A.R. Manufacturing = LAR, Bushmaster (L serial number), Ameetech, DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton

Jv Precision Machine = Double Star, LRB

Mega Machine Shop = Mega, GSE, Dalphon, POF, Alexander Arms

Olympic = Olympic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century

Sun Devil = Sun Devil billet receivers

Superior = Superior Arms

I have been looking for a AR and there are many different manufactures out there. I know some favor Rock River, others favor Bushmaster and so on. But I would like to here opinions on the new S&W MP AR15 from people who may own one or have shot one. Thanks

Unless it has a full-auto or burst position on the selector ($10K + tax stamp and used is your only option there) I don't think its worth buying an AR15 without a match trigger, float tube, and decent barrel. Chose barrel length+profile and sight/upper receiver configuration to suit your application (obviously you would not want to hump around a 10 pound gun for protection, a flat top is not legal in service rifle competition, and match sight apertures too small for low light situations.)

When you're spending ~$1000 on a gun it better be more accurate than you are and have a decent trigger so you can use it.

I'm very fond of my Armalite Action Master (flat-top, detachable handle with the small aperture match sight and 1/4 MOA adjustments, detachable front sight, 2-stage match trigger, float tube). I know that if I do a good job it will shoot 194-8X with inexpensive Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ. Some one who knew how to use it would do better.

When I get it out I think a lot about selling my FAL and buying an AR10. It doesn't always hit the black part of a target. No way to tell if its me or the gun and not even enough to consistently hit a soda can at 100 yards. I did get a lifetime supply of 20 round magazines for it while we lived with the ban.

A friend's 16" Colt (no float tube or trigger) was a lot better than the FAL but still not enough for plinking.

Whatever you get, buy extra extractor springs (which may not last 2000 rounds) and military surplus magazines (which work). A lifetime supply (few dozen) of magazines to get you through a ban would be good. I prefer 20 round magazines for shooting prone or off the bipod.