kallend

Nifong gets off easy

I agree in principle, but I'm sure the law doesn't read that way.

However, Nifong has been utterly disgraced and cashiered, and he'll never practice law again, and his victims have been vindicated.

Don't forget that there may be a blowback effect if he's smacked with a big sentence: it could serve to make prosecutors overly cautious to the opposite point where once the innocent were oppressed, the guilty could go free.

I say enough - let him exit the stage in shame, and we're all done with him.

Good riddance.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I agree in principle, but I'm sure the law doesn't read that way.

However, Nifong has been utterly disgraced and cashiered, and he'll never practice law again, and his victims have been vindicated.

Don't forget that there may be a blowback effect if he's smacked with a big sentence: it could serve to make prosecutors overly cautious to the opposite point where once the innocent were oppressed, the guilty could go free.

I say enough - let him exit the stage in shame, and we're all done with him.

Good riddance.

mh

This wasn't just over-zealousness, he plain LIED. Egregious misconduct, not just making a mistake.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Agreed as before. I think it should have been more than a symbolic slap on the wrist, but I don't know what the judge's options in sentencing were.

I'm guessing the judge and Nifong go way back.

mh

I'd say he got what he deserved. Loss of job, license, etc. The guy is ruined. We'll probably read about him in the next few years - about how he has had to resort to some menial living, etc.

Guys like Nifong are why DA's on at #1 on my shit list. It's the only thing that COULD have happened to him - contempt and loss of license.

And stuff like Nifong did happens thousands of times per day for issues that are not as public and to people without the resources to stop it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'd say he got what he deserved. Loss of job, license, etc. The guy is ruined. We'll probably read about him in the next few years - about how he has had to resort to some menial living, etc.

Guys like Nifong are why DA's on at #1 on my shit list. It's the only thing that COULD have happened to him - contempt and loss of license.

And stuff like Nifong did happens thousands of times per day for issues that are not as public and to people without the resources to stop it.

We had a bunch of cases in Illinois, that were only turned up thanks to college kids doing projects. Several were death penalty cases, too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Law,

I was hoping you'd weigh in here. Thx

mh

I agree with you.

I hope that he is pursued in civil court by the Duke lacrosse players he defamed.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!