Nightingale

Finally got my new gun!

Most fun thing I ever shot:

- Take empty, one-gallon paint can.
- Fill to brim with water.
- Put on lid and use hammer around edge to tap lid down tight as possible.
- Hide behind boulder 30 feet away and shoot it with a 30-06.

I'll go one better on that...5 gal. hydraulic fluid bucket filled with water and shot with .375 H&H mag from about 50 yards. Bucket when flying and the water column was about 20-25 feet in the air.

Don't people ever get bored firing at targets?

Or am I just weird?:S

Not anymore than people get tired of rolling a big, black ball at a bunch of white pins or whacking a small white ball, with a stick, toward a hole in the ground.

Most sports are about accuracy, to one degree or another.

A lot of whuffos think jumping out of a plane over and over would get boring eventually, but I'm sure some people here would disagree.

Jumping out a plane can eventually get boring. Firing at paper targets can be boring. 10 pin bowling is boring. Golf is outrageously boring.

Of course, for some people it's their hobby. I've not jumped in a while - when I do I'm sure I won't be bored - but it won't take many to become bored again. As per 10 pin bowling.

Firing on the range in a civilian context at paper targets would soon become boring.

Essentially it's a fairly flippant question I asked. I'm aware some people go nuts for target shooting. But it's boring.

Now, you might think what on earth do I do for my 'kicks' that doesn't eventually become boring?
I play chess and paint landscapes for starters. How utterly boring!?:D

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Just hope you don't lose the plot and do something stupid:|

edited to add: all guns suck

And people that think that guns somehow cause people to "lose the plot" need to tone down on the projection a bit....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Whys that then... one day your sane and responsible the next day for whatever reason you,re not.

Sad thread on another forum pretty much proves that,why risk being another Dunbane,Columbine etc etc, i just don't get guns period :|

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Whys that then... one day your sane and responsible the next day for whatever reason you,re not.

Sad thread on another forum pretty much proves that,why risk being another Dunbane,Columbine etc etc, i just don't get guns period :|

I'm not going to pull the thread into (yet) another pro/con debate... feel free to start (yet) another thread on the subject if you wish.

BTW, Nightingale... congrats on the new pea-shooter...have fun with it!

Suggestion: If the range you frequent doesn't allow "reactive" targets (stale cookies are fun, and feed the birds besides), then the targets that have a dye in them that outlines the bullet holes (I believe they're called C-More) are pretty fun.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yep. I was using the black targets that glow fluorescent yellow when you hit them. They had one shaped like a prairie dog. Got him right in the eye. Course, I'd never shoot at a real one. They're too darn cute.

Shit, a .22 rifle, a coke, a BBQ grill, and a field full of prairie dogs...that's a great New Mexico friday night...

:P
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Hehe. As long as they're eating what they kill, I've got no problem with it. I'm not a fan of the "tourist" hunters who kill a beautiful buck, take the trophy head to the taxidermist, and leave the rest to rot. Most of the regular hunters I know will be eating venison for a month.

Hehe. As long as they're eating what they kill, I've got no problem with it. I'm not a fan of the "tourist" hunters who kill a beautiful buck, take the trophy head to the taxidermist, and leave the rest to rot. Most of the regular hunters I know will be eating venison for a month.

Mmm...Roast Prairie Dog...It gets eaten, just not by humans. We had some really fat coyotes in NM, though...

if you have to use a gun for self defense its better to use something that is harder to miss with, nothing clears a hallway out better than a 12 gauge
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

if you have to use a gun for self defense its better to use something that is harder to miss with, nothing clears a hallway out better than a 12 gauge

Best pesticide (bipedal variety): 12ga, 00 Buckshot. Goodbye, Mr. Burglar...Say hi to Jeffrey Dahmer for me...

Not so much. At most residential distances, shot will not spread as much as most people think. It's still very easy to miss. Shot placement is therefore still the most important thing to focus on. Furthermore, 00 buckshot can pass through a number of walls and/or barriers before losing lethal energy. I don't know about you, but I don't want my rounds going places I can't see.

Polyshok, on the other hand, is as perfect as ammunition gets.

http://www.polyshok.com/
http://defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=709
http://www.polyshok.com/journal_of_forensic_sciences.htm

I use it to the exclusion of all others for defensive applications. If you can get your hands on this ammunition legally, DO SO!

ps - Nice peice, Nightingale. I was thinking about one for Robyn, but I think she likes the Mark III more than the 22/45 Mark III.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Not so much. At most residential distances, shot will not spread as much as most people think. It's still very easy to miss. Shot placement is therefore still the most important thing to focus on. Furthermore, 00 buckshot can pass through a number of walls and/or barriers before losing lethal energy. I don't know about you, but I don't want my rounds going places I can't see.

Polyshok, on the other hand, is as perfect as ammunition gets.

http://www.polyshok.com/
http://defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=709
http://www.polyshok.com/journal_of_forensic_sciences.htm

I use it to the exclusion of all others for defensive applications. If you can get your hands on this ammunition legally, DO SO!

ps - Nice peice, Nightingale. I was thinking about one for Robyn, but I think she likes the Mark III more than the 22/45 Mark III.

The problem that I have with stuff like that is the tactical / LE only bs. If there's a more effective SD round out there, it should be available to all.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Enjoy the new handgun and revel in your newfound notariety ;)

As for fun shooting, not much in the organized shooting sports can equal 3 Gun for excitement. Basically it's a combat style match shot from multiple positions at multiple targets at multiple ranges with one, two or all three weapons on a given course of fire and you will be moving and shooting against the clock. No two matches are ever alike. Some matches have an "attack of the zombies" flavor. Others are based on military situations, some are based on possible civilian type encounters.

Think skydiving is expensive? Try 3 Gun. Travel expenses, match fees and ammo can add up in a very big hurry. Typical ammo load out for a match- 300+ handgun rounds, 300+ rifle rounds, 100-400 shotgun shells, a significant portion of which will be mandated to be slugs. Cost of a competitive set of firearms will be $4-7k easily. Suddenly a rig and a $20 jump ticket aren't so bad after all.

you might as well have a decent barrel so you could actually hit something without having to be 2 meters away from it!

There's a nifty little trick known as aiming that may help with this issue.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

there are other uses for a 22

Yup...put 'em in a wrist rocket sling shot and the go off like little hand grenades!:)

I'm going to get off on a tangent here. If I was more scientific I'd do some experimenting with this. But this might also be a good way to get shot. We had a screw ball kid throw a 22 round, in shool this year, and the projectile put a hole in the wall.

Most rifle bullets will blow up the case without shooting the bullet. I've heard that you can place a big game round on a hot plate, cover it with a cardboard box. When it cooks off nothing should penetrate the cardboard box, because the brass blows up with little affect.

With a 22 things are different.. A 22 bullet will actually fire from the case if the primer is hit. I'm not sure if this would happen every time, but sometimes it will.

I've often wondered about shotgun and pistol ammo.
Would they actually fire a projectile if not enclosed in chamber. Anyone out there ever experimented with this?

I've heard that the enemy in Vietnam, made a booby trap from a shotgun round. They'd put it in a piece of bamboo with a thumb tack under the primer. When someone stepped on it, it woiuld go off, blowing much of their foot off. Anyone else heard this story? I wonder if it's true.

The one and only time, I was shot involved shooting some steel plates. I was way too close, and had them all set up facing me. I yanked out my trust 9MM auto and was doing my best Dirty Harry imitation, when wham, I was hit in the forehead by a piece of lead. This was a hard way to learn to angle the steel plates, so there would be no chance of a ricochet.

And yes, I've done some really stupid stuff, in the name of entertainment! And none of it was boring.[:/]...Steve1

if a shotgun shell went off out of a gun the effect would be close to that of a hand grenade just not as effective distance wise. a point blank shot from a 12 gauge would take of most of your foot, hand, forearm, and most of a head dont experiment!!!!
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Without something to contain the force, the shell will split and some ricochets would occur, but nothing close to actual gunshot damage.

I believe the Viet Cong used rifle cartridges in bamboo "barrels" to contain the force.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

depend on what shells you use and how the gun is choked. there are shells that at 15 feet would have a 3 ft wide pattern and then there are shells at the same distance that will have a pattern thats 6 in, i use to shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays