AdD

UCLA Student Tasered in Library

I wonder what their code is for their force for the emergency use of lights and sirens when headed to the donut shop... busy busy boys they are.

Doctor says that donuts aren't good for me.

I like donuts

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>What do you call the medical procedure that uses this opinion to resuscitate corpses?

Defibrillation. Hopefully the cops are smart enough to have one on them if they have decided to use a taser as a compliance tool.

Incorrect. Pay attention, if they'd been attacked they would have been quite entitled to escallate to lead.

>Incorrect.

Uh, defibrillation is the most likely way to resuscitate someone who has gone into v-fib due to use of a taser.

>if they'd been attacked they would have been quite entitled to escallate to lead.

I agree! Too bad they were not attacked; their course of action would have been clearer, and several posters here would have been quite pleased to see it.

I agree! Too bad they were not attacked; their course of action would have been clearer, and several posters here would have been quite pleased to see it.

I don't think livendive's fantasy would have played out as expected. Nobody would have been pleased to see it.

>if they'd been attacked they would have been quite entitled to escallate to lead.

Unfortunately, by the time the samaritan thought to start running the video, the student was already screaming at the officers that they dare not touch him, and was proceeding to go off about the evils of the patriot act. Then all you see is the backs of a bunch of people crowding around and yelling at the police demanding their badge numbers.

Said simply, I don't want to see people get roughed up by a law enforcement officer with a chip on his or her shoulder, but at the same time, what constitutes a civil rights violation is a function of the officer's action in response to a situation, not how aghast onlookers happened to be, or how vocally the person speaks out against legislation they disagree with in the middle of the encounter. In the absence of evidence one way or the other regarding the former, people here seem to be focusing on the latter.

Nobody would have been pleased to see it.

Nobody would admit to being pleased but it would be obvious from the feeding frenzy.

you mean like this:

They should tie that campus cop down and taser his nutsack for a few hours.

and this:

The only reason I watched till the end was hope that eventually some of the spectators would grow a set and give the cops a dose of their own medicine. Oh well.

you mean like this:

Yes, very much like that, only the exact opposite.

Of course, because you wish to turn the tables to suit your politics but have no pretext upon which to base your accusation.

So someone on the left explicitly and unabashedly calling for the torture of a cop (that's the part that DID happen) becomes someone on the right taking pleasure in the death of students despite the latter being, ahem..."factually challenged".

Dream on.

>Nobody would have been pleased to see it.

So when you said "You will deservedly and promptly get shot between the horns" you meant you would NOT be pleased to see that person get shot between the horns (and measured for their pine box while the cop walked away.) OK then.

>Nobody would have been pleased to see it.

So when you said "You will deservedly and promptly get shot between the horns" you meant you would NOT be pleased to see that person get shot between the horns (and measured for their pine box while the cop walked away.) OK then.

I mean anyone who attacks a cop will likely be shot and they will have deserved it. I stand by that. If you think that means I'd be pleased to see a student massacre because of THEIR idiotic actions you're very wrong and that is a vile accusation driven by your own bullshit politics.

Someone else called for the attack on cops in this thread. Anyone who wants to see cops attacked and lose the struggle is a moron who deserves to live in the shithole anarchy their stupidity would create.

So take your contrived accusations and shove them Bill.

P.S. it is telling that the students actually present showed restraint in the presence of law enforcement (just as the fantasists posting would have), that's the way it's supposed to work. No attacks, no need to defend against it because people generally understand the implications of an attack on a cop.

I mean anyone who attacks a cop will likely be shot and they will have deserved it.

So anyone who is attacked by a cop should shoot him because he deserves it? I guess we just fundamentally disagree. I don't think a badge gives cops the authority to physically assault someone who is not posing a threat to anyone. If a cop chooses to do so, it's only fair that he risk the same consequences as any other combatant. In this case, I think tasing the people who were tasing a non-threating individual would have been perfectly justified.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Your assumption that this is what the video showed is revealing. The guy in the uniform has earned the benefit of the doubt and remains accountable & subject to discipline when appropriate.

The guys in the uniform haven't earned anything beyond what most other government workers have earned, and they've earned less than most with a security clearance. Unfortunately, this class of civil servant is not held as accountable as most other forms, and their discipline, when existent, is very rarely appropriate. In my opinion, the lack of accountability among police officers is a great example of how unions have overgrown their utility.

As for my assumption...you know as well as I do that if the guy was actually posing a threat, the response would have been much more vigorous. The cops standing around watching would've wanted a piece of him too.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think a badge gives cops the authority to physically assault someone who is not posing a threat to anyone.

Well, the law of pretty much every state in the union disagrees with you. LEOs are authorized to use reasonable force to arrest anyone guilty of breaking the law. For example, if someone is told to leave an area by someone who has the right to tell them to leave, they are tresspassing. If they don't leave, officers will ask them to leave, tell them to leave, and then make them leave or arrest them. Read up on your state law that authorizeds LEO use of force.

In North Carolina, the relevant law is G.S. 1A-401.

If a cop chooses to do so, it's only fair that he risk the same consequences as any other combatant. In this case, I think tasing the people who were tasing a non-threating individual would have been perfectly justified.

That would be (A) assault on a law enforcement officer, and (B) a very bad idea.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Well, the law of pretty much every state in the union disagrees with you. LEOs are authorized to use reasonable force to arrest anyone guilty of breaking the law. For example, if someone is told to leave an area by someone who has the right to tell them to leave, they are tresspassing. If they don't leave, officers will ask them to leave, tell them to leave, and then make them leave or arrest them. Read up on your state law that authorizeds LEO use of force.

Serious question. Up here in Canada, well Ontario anyways, we have to specifically authorize the Police Service to act on our behalf when asking people to leave our property.

This was campus officers dealing with a student in a campus building. I'm sure they have power to enforce campus rules, as well as laws.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Key word there.

Would they be justified in using force to remove him from the library if he refused to leave? (lets ignore the fact that he was in the process of leaving when the officers arrived for now)

I think so.

Would they be justified in using potentially lethal force?

I don't think so.

This was campus officers dealing with a student in a campus building. I'm sure they have power to enforce campus rules, as well as laws.

I understood that, but outside of this particular incident, I am still wondering about the answer to my question. Anybody know?

I just love that term. It exemplifies so well what's right about Canada.

As opposed to here where it's Police Force....and having an adversarial relationship with ANYONE who is not in uniform ON THE JOB... at least that is the perception I get from the cops I have known in my family and friends.

Have you ever gone on a ride-along with police? Have you ever signed up for a 'community academy' session?

Do you have any concept of how police use force? Do you understand the force continuum?

Unfortunately, this class of civil servant is not held as accountable as most other forms, and their discipline, when existent, is very rarely appropriate.

You've got to be kidding me. You think your standard issue paper pusher or politician is held to any accountability whatsoever? Have you not been paying attention for the last hundred years or so?

And as for police officers not being held accountable, not being disciplined... Pull your head out of the sand, or wherever it is you've stuffed it, and do a little homework on the subject, preferably beyond the five o'clock news. If you have any experience whatsoever with actual police work and police officers, beyond the news and the movies, you'd know how ass-backwards your statement was.
witty subliminal message
1*

I don't think a badge gives cops the authority to physically assault someone who is not posing a threat to anyone.

In North Carolina, the relevant law is G.S. 1A-401.

I don't disagree with those laws. I think the difference of opinion here is on what constitutes "reasonable force." I've removed lots of trespassers from property on which they were no longer welcome. Many of them were fighting their removal. Most of the time a simple submission grip was sufficent, and in no case was a taser necessary. Once handcuffed, the job really is quite simple. These cops could have easily removed this guy from the premises without using a taser if they'd wished to.

If a cop chooses to do so, it's only fair that he risk the same consequences as any other combatant. In this case, I think tasing the people who were tasing a non-threating individual would have been perfectly justified.

That would be (A) assault on a law enforcement officer, and (B) a very bad idea.

Here's our other probable point of contention. I think LEOs should get the benefit of the doubt right up until they become assailants. A criminal, however, is a criminal, regardless of what color clothes they're wearing. I think it would be good for our society if more people stepped in to stop assaults rather than ignoring them or trying to not get involved. I agree with you that's not how it works, but that's how it should work. People should stop thugs when they see them hurting someone who wasn't threatening them.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)