Armour666

Girls suspended over 'Vagina Monologues'

It more chilling than that; The girls weren't suspended for saying "Vagina"... They were suspended for "NOT OBEYING ORDERS"!!!

>:(

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

The event was open to the community, including children, and the word was not appropriate, Leprine said in a statement. He said the girls had been told when they auditioned that they could not use the word.

When dose Vigina become inappropriate? what the hell should it be called?
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

When dose Vigina become inappropriate? what the hell should it be called?

Exactly, they used the most appropriate word they could have, what was the issue?

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I dislike this censorship, too. My kids do drama club at their HS, and we've had to deal with some censorship BS, too.

However, it wasn't the suspension that was the censorship, it was the pre-performance order not to say the word "vagina" on stage that was the censorship. If the girls didn't like it, they could have protested the order and tried to get the school to change its mind. If there was no change, then they could have simply chosen not to participate.

Instead, the girls deliberately disobeyed a clear order. Make no mistake: they weren't suspended for saying "vagina" onstage; they were suspended for disobeying the order not to do so.

Now while I might applaud their civil disobedience, that's exactly what it was. And the hallmark of any true civil disobedience is the understanding that it is likely to be punished, and the willingness to maturely, bravely, accept that punishment; for it is the punishment itself that sends the message to society that the protestor wishes to convey.

The play depicts pedophilia as a good thing:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2471714;search_string=vagina;#2471714

Not appropriate for a school play, in my opinion.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The play depicts pedophilia as a good thing:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2471714;search_string=vagina;#2471714

Not appropriate for a school play, in my opinion.

they were not doing the entier play just an passage. there are parts in other books that people dissagree with should we toss those out as well ?
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Have you ever actually seen the play? Understand the context of it? Know why it was written? Realize just how much money has been raised as a result of this play?

A friend produced it for her college, so I drove 2 hours to see it. It was extremely well done, funny, but very thought provoking as well. There was no endorsement of pedophilia of any kind. The coochie snorcher skit was more sad than anything, though it had funny parts to it. The play was completely different than what I had expected... I went only to support my friend, not because I was actually interested in the play (though I admit, I knew little about it). It made me think. A lot.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate for a high school play or not, but the play was 'open to the public', not presented in an elementary school, for crying out loud. If you don't want your kids to see it, don't take them. Seems pretty simple.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

the play was 'open to the public', not presented in an elementary school, for crying out loud. If you don't want your kids to see it, don't take them. Seems pretty simple.

Good point. I'd think the title of the work would clue parents in that it's dealing with mature and/or risqué subject matter.

they were not doing the entier play just an passage. there are parts in other books that people dissagree with should we toss those out as well ?

If those parts are not appropriate for a SCHOOL function...Yes. I don't expect they are allowed to play NWA "Fuck 'da Police" at a school function either.

They were told not to do it and they did it. I have no issue with them being punished.

Good point. I'd think the title of the work would clue parents in that it's dealing with mature and/or risqué subject matter.

From the article:

The excerpt from "Monologues" was read Friday night, among various readings at an event sponsored by the literary magazine at John Jay High School in Cross River, a New York City suburb. Among the other readings was a student's original work and the football coach quoting Shakespeare.

It was one part of a larger production. Many times when I was in school the smaller parts were not printed or advertised before the performance for the audience to know.

Besides, as you already stated, they were told no and did it anyway. I have no problem with them being punished for breaking a rule.

Now should they have been told that they could not say it? I personally do not think so.

So while it may be a dumb rule, they were told not to say it and they did.

>If those parts are not appropriate for a SCHOOL function...Yes.
>I don't expect they are allowed to play NWA "Fuck 'da Police" at a school
>function either.

That's really not the issue. Romeo and Juliet glamorizes suicide and underage sex; Macbeth is all about murder, and Much Ado about Nothing is a play about the power of the vagina. ("Nothing" was Shakespearean slang for vagina.) Yet all those would have been appropriate, and indeed Shakespeare was read without complaint at the event.

The bigger issue is the rule-breaking thing. If it was an in-school event, I would have no problem with this action. It's not the subject matter, it's the issue that schools are for teaching kids, and the administration has the right to make rules (even if they are silly) to achieve that goal. Extra-hours activities run under a slightly different set of rules, though. I think that as long as it was clear what was being read, then the responsibility falls on the attendees, not the school, to decide whether or not they want to see it. However, if the material being read was not identified, I could see an issue.

That's really not the issue. Romeo and Juliet glamorizes suicide and underage sex; Macbeth is all about murder, and Much Ado about Nothing is a play about the power of the vagina. ("Nothing" was Shakespearean slang for vagina.) Yet all those would have been appropriate, and indeed Shakespeare was read without complaint at the event.

The bigger issue is the rule-breaking thing.

We agree on this. I see it as the subject (and the song "Fuck 'da Police") are both not approved. Doing the play (or playing the song) when being told not to is the issue and is what I meant by "If those parts are not appropriate for a SCHOOL function".

Someone, right or wrong, said that it is not appropriate and made a rule. They broke that rule, just like playing "Fuck 'da Police" would be against the rules and I would expect to get punished.

Another line from the play, spoken by the 13 year old that was "seduced" by the adult woman:

If it was rape, it was a good rape.

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Another line from the play, spoken by the 13 year old that was "seduced" by the adult woman:

If it was rape, it was a good rape.

You seem to be on a campaign against the play. A fair enough topic, as you raised in the earlier thread, but it's not the topic of this thread.

Suspending a student for using the word "vagina" is not censorship. However, suspending or even giving a detention to a student for wearing a T-shirt with "FUCK YOU" printed on it is censorship.
Go figure. :S

Again: the censorship occurred prior to the production. The girls weren't suspended for using the word. They were suspended for deliberately disobeying an order given to them, in advance, to refrain from using the word.

You seem to be on a campaign against the play. A fair enough topic, as you raised in the earlier thread, but it's not the topic of this thread.

Agreed. An out of context line is an insane reason to judge any play... the same could be done of Shakespeare or anything else.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda