Michele

Liberalism in the Classroom (Long, but I need your opinion)

in tenure decisions too much attention is given to research publications and funding, and only lip service is given to classroom performance and effective mentoring of graduate students. Now, at college level the students are expected to be capable of independent learning, so the instructor doesn't need to spoon-feed, but classroom performance is, IMO, underrated.

Holy cow! Thank you for acknowledging that!!! Some of the winners I had were from another planet. Apparently good researchers but no-one could follow a thing they tried to teach.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Now, at college level the students are expected to be capable of independent learning, so the instructor doesn't need to spoon-feed, but classroom performance is, IMO, underrated.

most would agree that teaching should enter salary as well as P&T decisions.

the big problem is how to measure classroom performance. If you only rely on student evaluations many will not give them a lot of credibility and, in absence of other data, largely disregard the teaching record due to lack of useful information.

Other methods are peer evaluations which may have their own crdeibility problems (but usually generate good feedback).

The best measure would be the overall perfomance of students in a class compared to other lecturers. As a large course coordinator I'm actually tracking relative performances of parallel lecture sections (which take the same exams) to see if there are problems with some lecturers. So at least within a small group of lecturers I can tell you who is doing a great, OK, or bad job relative to his/her peer lecturers in regrard to test performance. Anecdotally, this performance is largely uncorrelated to student satisfactions expressed in student evaluations - I have encountered pretty much any combination of the two indicators.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

This is virtually the exact advice NClimber gave her as well as others. I did not tell her, at this piont, she should admit she was wrong, that came later. She poo-poo'd this advice and then later accepted NClimber's and praised him.

But people here just want to reference the latter advice not the initial advice, the advice that she ignored.

Point is, cons stick together.

The point you seem to miss is that before you offered that, you wrote about 100 lines of other stuff. The first several screen-fulls involved a general bashing of all things conservative, followed by an all-too-lengthy history of how you skillfully "played" the system.

And you wonder why she missed your one paragraph on offering an apology. :S:S:S

Bashing all things conservative - refute them rather than making it a referendum against me. Cons were here b4 me, will be here after me, refute the point, not me. Oh, you can't? I guess you're relegated to bashing me then - have fun;)

Skillfully played the system - We have established how academia is AFU, so me trying to keep it somewhat honest is playing it? OK. But if your con buddy appeals, it's not playing, it's that she truely injured.

I also appeal some traffic tickets, I guess I'm playing the syetem too when I appeal a ticket for:

- me recording the cop at the scene, the judge, a former 20-year cop captain refused to allow it. The cop writing a location 100 miles from where we were, the judge allowing a last minute in trail amendment. A cop admittedly misusing (cosine error) radar equipment, yet the judge allowing it.

I've appealed traffic tickets to the State Sup Ct, I've won 2 of several appeals, but on trial de novo for incomplete record. I've never won one on merit because the cop is the judge in this state. I have a book that details various states and their traffic ticket trial process and I am in Nazi-ville in that accord.

What realy makes this country shitty are the weak losers who roll over, disent is what made this country great, many cons allowing the moral right to have elder's final word w/o question is what is making it crappy.

And you wonder why she missed your one paragraph on offering an apology.

No, I don't wonder, I also don't wonder why you speak for her, cons tend to do that since they are usually lock-stepped. I don;t wonder why other people have given the same advice and she overlooked it till fellow con, you come along and drops it. I don;t give a shit, just fun to point out. ;)

And you wonder why she missed your one paragraph on offering an apology. :S:S:S

Does anyone actually read the novels lucky posts? I just scroll past and figured everyone does.

This is a perfect example, narcimund has liberal ideals, yet insist on joining the mob. If we were cons he would be revoked from the club. Can you show me examples of cons infighting?

Sure, primarily the mob mentality. There are likely people who might want to either jump in on my behalf or at least jumo in to point out that this is a mob situation, but want to stay out of the fire.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that. I would guess, that the majority of people get so annoyed by the string of posts you continously put up, that they start reposnding negatively to you.

Try this at your next family dinner: scream and yell in stead of talking at a normal level, but say what you would normally say. Your points during that conversation may be very valid, but I can almost guarantee you that all the feedback you'll recieve will be negative.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that. I would guess, that the majority of people get so annoyed by the string of posts you continously put up, that they start reposnding negatively to you.

So they have 2 major options:

1) Ignore them

2) Respond and create an issue (together with people but not in the mob sense, oh no)

And I'm the bad guy? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......... :|

I did at a later point advise Michelle to even consider telling the teacher he is right to feed his ego, .

that's the one I recall. I don't recall the other, it must have been buried in a string of 300 inch Lucky-style rapid posts

Yes, selective recolection is wonderful, allows you to forget who your wife is, fuck who you want, forget to g to work, forget to pull in some cases :o. OK Ollie, I don;t recall - what a joke.

and I don't see how including your recommendation as one of 3 legitimate ways to deal with a situation has anything to do with cons sticking together or libs sticking together or pancakes sticking together

It's the reaction after the fact, not only with this issue, but with other issues. Case in point, find where cons have intra-dissent in any issue? Here even the libs are bashing, I can show other examples too. Perhaps you've already failed to recall that too.

edit: Deleted the last bit above, I just read the other replies and you are getting enough crap from those right and left of the political line as well as those north and south of the mason dixon as well.[/

To make you appear to be humanitarian? Please. I like the dissent, it makes people think. Altho most cons I've met refuse to act upon it, just fall in line, it's a start. To hold back for my benefit.

Well, if I were. On crack. I would write. In sentence frangments.

I don't think that crack affects sentence structure as much as general thought processes.

In that case, your sentence should have read: I don't think that crack affects sentence structure as much as it affects general thought processes.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :|

See, and I'm not on crack....lol. Since crack doesn't screw up sentence structure so much, then it's really not an issue for either one of us, is it. It's thought processes that tend to be more affected by crack. That's what I said the first time though ;). I'm not sure about what happens to reading comprehension or to attention.

linz

You're right, you're just illiterate on your own. At least those on drugs have an excuse.

If I need 10 cent advice on the physiological / intellectual affects of crack on the human body, I'll be sure to ask.

And because we disagree, you claim or your fellow con buddy claims that I must be on crack. I guess anyone who disagrees with the con minority must be on drugs.

You're right, you're just illiterate on your own. At least those on drugs have an excuse.

If I need 10 cent advice on the physiological / intellectual affects of crack on the human body, I'll be sure to ask.

Umm....Crack affects the human body, but it's the 10-cent advice on the physiological/intellectual effects of crack on the human body....

Your illiteracy is showing...

I guess anyone who disagrees with the con minority must be on drugs.

Well, since I disagree with the con minority on most things, I must be on drugs too....lol. The crack post was only referring to the endless string of posts that you make, silly boy.... Have you lost your sense of humor too? Surely you can at least laugh at that??? The "crack" crack was in jest....lighthearted....silly.... :)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The crack post was only referring to the endless string of posts that you make, silly boy.... Have you lost your sense of humor too? Surely you can at least laugh at that??? The "crack" crack was in jest....lighthearted....silly.... :)

linz

Sorry... I think he's too busy telling everyone why and how (think of Alfalfa saying "and how) they are wrong.

Isn't that just like lucky?

Lecturing a MD on drug abuse or medical issues...:|

I think he's just trying to demonstrate that I'm illiterate. It's probably because I got my BA from one of those Liberal Arts colleges. But somehow I made it through a Masters and Doctorate without being able to read. Maybe it just irks him that I post like I talk (I am a bit of a hick), and I don't edit all of my posts as though I'm submitting my dissertation....

Either way, I'm obviously illiterate on my own, and not because of crack. I suppose that's a good thing.

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Just thought I'd update the thread and let you all know I took the final tonight...dunno how I did; I felt "o.k.", but due to the evacuation which happened in the middle of it, I have no real idea because that was really distracting and I sort of lost my focus.

Oh well. Chem is done with. Now I've got three days off before next semester starts.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Just thought I'd update the thread and let you all know I took the final tonight...dunno how I did; I felt "o.k.", but due to the evacuation which happened in the middle of it, I have no real idea because that was really distracting and I sort of lost my focus.

Oh well. Chem is done with. Now I've got three days off before next semester starts.

Ciels-
Michele

Evacuation? Did someone put up a flyer for a local "Pus Casserole" concert with an LED light attached?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Evacuation? Did someone put up a flyer for a local "Pus Casserole" concert with an LED light attached?

LOL, nope, something about hexanitro being discovered in the chem lab stock room and people being worried we'd blow up. Quite the adventure during a chem final...:)
Ciels-
Michele

Just to finish this chapter, I thought I'd post my final grade in Chem.

I managed, despite the evacuation of our class during the final exam, to bring my point average to 86.003%, which gave me a B in the class overall.

I am happy with that...and happy with the resolution of the whole incident which lead to this thread. Again, he and I talked, and while he is not someone I'll ever have over to dinner, if I see him on campus I do say "hey!" and ask after him. As does he to me.

So it all ended well...and now I'm on to Microbio, Physio, Psych 41, and English 101...'twill be a rough semester, but at least Chem is done and done respectably.

Ciels-
Michele

I managed, despite the evacuation of our class during the final exam, to bring my point average to 86.003%, which gave me a B in the class overall.

I am happy with that...and happy with the resolution of the whole incident which lead to this thread. Again, he and I talked, and while he is not someone I'll ever have over to dinner, if I see him on campus I do say "hey!" and ask after him. As does he to me.

So it all ended well...and now I'm on to Microbio, Physio, Psych 41, and English 101...'twill be a rough semester, but at least Chem is done and done respectably.

Ciels-
Michele

Well, that's coolB|. Well done.

Why the evacuation?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why the evacuation?

Apparently, some hexa-nitro-something or other was found in the chem lab (next door...). I put a post up about it, so I'll go dig it up and link it here. And no, I didn't do it.

Ciels-
Michele

Ciels-
Michele

That'll be Murphy's Irish Stout! Was it 1 or 2 pints? Good work, and Nitro is doing OK. Thanks!

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Jim, I'm glad to hear your Nitro is doing better. Glad I could help; and glad she's happier and back on her feet. And of course, I'll get you some Irish Stout...I owe you. LOL.

No. I owe you!

Also, re: the evacuation. Nitro's full registered name is Nitrobengene, her grandfather's name (a former grand Nat. Champion) is Nitroglistening. Just some chemistry/cat/explosives trivia!

-NickDG

How about when we meet, we'll buy each other an Irish Stout?

And I love that Nitro's grandpa is Nitroglistening...and I can't wait until you tell me she's exploding 'round the house again...defying gravity and breaking all other rules of feline physics.:D

Ciels-
Michele

How about when we meet, we'll buy each other an Irish Stout?

And I love that Nitro's grandpa is Nitroglistening...and I can't wait until you tell me she's exploding 'round the house again...defying gravity and breaking all other rules of feline physics.:D

Ciels-
Michele

OK. And I look forward to it.

jim

-NickDG