freeflir29

Yeah........America is so bad in Iraq......

Expedited Citizenship for Military Personnel
President Bush has signed a bill to expedite citizenship for foreign-born members of the military. Fees will also be waived for these candidates. Text of the press release from the USCIS:
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces may apply for citizenship under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Generally, that includes service in one of the following brances of the U.S. military:

- Army - Navy - Marine Corps - Air Force - Coast Guard
- Certain Reserve components of the National Guard
- Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve

Recent changes in section 328 and 329 of the INA make it easier for qualified military personnel to become U.S. citizens. In addition, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has created a streamlined process specifically for military personnel serving on active-duty status or recently discharged. As of October 1, 2004, members of the U.S. Armed Forces do not pay a fee when filing for citizenship.

To date, more than 18,000 service members have applied for expedited naturalization. USCIS has helped nearly 9,000 of those service members become citizens.

Qualifications
A military service member must meet certain requirements and qualifications to become a U.S. citizen. These include:

- Demonstrating good moral character;
- Demonstrating knowledge of the English language;
- Demonstrating knowledge of U.S. government history (civics); and
- Demonstrating attachment to the U.S. by taking an oath of allegiance to the U.S. Constitution.

Military service members are exempt from other naturalization requirements outlined in the INA as amended by the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2004.

Beat me to it.
One of my guys is being sworn in on the 26th of this month.

Matt

This is an idea the Govt. should promote to all illegals in the U.S. before deporting them (assuming they have not commited a serious crime). Might help the military meet it's recruitment goals and might also instill more of a commitment to being an American instead of viewing the U.S. as a cash cow.

Beat me to it.

Matt

This is an idea the Govt. should promote to all illegals in the U.S. before deporting them (assuming they have not commited a serious crime). Might help the military meet it's recruitment goals and might also instill more of a commitment to being an American instead of viewing the U.S. as a cash cow.

This can create all kinds of problems though. The language barrier is one. In the 70's I trained with many Puerto Rican soldiers who couldn't speak English. I can see the reasoning behind getting more troops, but lowering the standards too low is asking for trouble. Can you imagine the problems that this would create if you went into combat with people who couldn't even communicate with each other....Steve1

Beat me to it.

Matt

This can create all kinds of problems though. The language barrier is one. In the 70's I trained with many Puerto Rican soldiers who couldn't speak English. I can see the reasoning behind getting more troops, but lowering the standards too low is asking for trouble. Can you imagine the problems that this would create if you went into combat with people who couldn't even communicate with each other....Steve1

The Provost Marshal for last year's rotation was from Puerto Rico - going into their office was a sign saying "This is a Spanish speaking environment". There were a few...problems...over the course of the deployment...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"Doc" just passed all his immigration stuff. What he relayed was a written and oral test in English. Granted it is the same sentence all the time so maybe it could be "parroted". But we should be having a better English understanding by the new citizens?

The Provost Marshals Office had a sign like that? I remember getting a JAG office briefing about English is the work language and private conversation can be what ever native tongue.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!