Darius11

Parents defend decision to stunt daughter's growth

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1821784.htm

By North America correspondent Michael Rowland

The parents of a severely disabled nine-year-old girl in the United States are defending their decision to deliberately stunt her growth.

Ashley was born with a rare brain condition.

She cannot walk or talk and she cannot even lift her head in bed.

Three years ago her parents decided to stop her growing so, as they put it, the girl could have a better quality of life.

Ashley was given hormone treatment and had her uterus and breast buds removed.

Critics have accused the parents of maiming their child for convenience, but Douglas Diekema - one of the Seattle doctors who approved the treatment - says this was not the motivation.

"If she were smaller, it would be much easier for them to continue to provide a much more personal level of care," he said.

The parents insist they stunted their daughter's growth out of love.

This is the shorter version (there are longer articals out there)
Basically because the child is handy capped to a point where she is like an infant the parents chose to keep her small so she would be easier to take care of.

Considering this surgery was not needed to keep her healthy but only done to make the care for her easier I believe it was done for the parent’s convenience.
I am not sure if it is right or wrong as I have never had a sick kid. I am sure it is a full time job, I mean it is when your kids are healthy.

I just don’t know about this one. My first reaction was to say fuck the parents, but I have never been there so don’t know.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

>Considering this surgery was not needed to keep her healthy but
> only done to make the care for her easier I believe it was done for
> the parent’s convenience.

Basically, yes. It allowed them to continue to give her the same care they are giving her now with the same amount of effort (which from reports is considerable.) As they become older, it will be harder to give her the same level of care, and might be nearly impossible if she was a full-grown adult with no control of her limbs. I'm glad she has parents willing to give her that level of care; from reports, the kid is relatively happy.

>Considering this surgery was not needed to keep her healthy but
> only done to make the care for her easier I believe it was done for
> the parent’s convenience.

Basically, yes. It allowed them to continue to give her the same care they are giving her now with the same amount of effort (which from reports is considerable.) As they become older, it will be harder to give her the same level of care, and might be nearly impossible if she was a full-grown adult with no control of her limbs. I'm glad she has parents willing to give her that level of care; from reports, the kid is relatively happy.

Yes, that is my assessment. Anybody that complains or disagrees, I would bet they've never dealt with such a situation personally in their families.

Anybody know what kind of lifespan this girl might have with her disability?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I just don’t know about this one. My first reaction was to say fuck the parents, but I have never been there so don’t know.

Unless we've walked a mile in their shoes, we shouldn't be judging these people. Their daughter is severely disabled, she can't not think for herself let alone care for herself and likely won't live more than another 10 years or so (don't quote me on that figure). I actually think these parents are doing the right thing for themselves and ultimately their daughter. They could easily throw her into an institution and be done with her. But no they want to be with her and care for her and love her while she's still with them. Like I said, we shouldn't be judging these people unless we've walked a mile in their shoes.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over