freethefly

NYPD Bullet Kills Groom on Wedding Day

Nothing is cut and dry my friend. I merely read more than one newspaper article and I watched more than one news excerpt than probably all of you combined. Which is what most of you should have done before running your mouth off about it. You guys are like whuffos that read what the media says about Skydiving fatalities and don't get all the facts first.

So why did you present the police side as facts, then?
Try practicing what you preach.

Amadou Diallo is not what this topic is about. Read the subject "NYPD bullet kills Groom on Wedding Day". I fail to see where it mentions Amadou Diallo.

Amadou Diallo shows that the mentality of the NYPD has NOT changed. Amadou Diallo is very relevant to this discussion.

PS before you tell ME that I'm not a cop, I was a cop 1967-70.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You keep telling us a gun was found, WHERE is this information? Quote your source!

I never said the gun was found.

You keep parroting the officers that are playing CYA.
Brandishing WHAT GUN?! Tell us what this obscure newspaper is you alone seem to have access to? Where are you getting these "facts"?

Dude read the newspapers. The officers said they saw the man had a gun.

It went BAD, did inadequate training factor in it, or were the UC's "John Wayne-ing" the situation escalate it to an unmanageable point.
No, I'm not a NYC police officer but I bet that they are not instructed to approach any individual(s) thought to be armed , without a weapon drawn and a badge displayed.

Yes, I have testified in gun cases adnauseam and this one stinks.
Polishing my crystal ball, I'll venture a guess as to how this will end up. No chance this ever sees the inside of a court room. The suspects / victims will be paid 7 figures in a closed settlement without the NYPD receiving any responsibility or blame. IAB will investigate and make recommendations, a new set of "training standards" will be put in place so the Mayor and Police administration can point to all they are doing to insure this never happens again.

You know what, you're probably 100% right. You've made some strong interesting points. However, you know better than anyone else that since this case is still under investigation, you should just wait till the case is closed. The police commissioner and the mayor already stated in the newspapers that the amount of force was excessive. So guess what that means? Either way if the gun fairy returned the gun or not. All these guys are going to get suspended without pay and may even get criminal charges.
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

So why did you pesent the police side as facts, then?
Try practicing what you preach.

From the different resources that I got my information from stated otherwise from what the media portrayed. We should listen to both sides of the story. Don't you think that's fair?

Amadou Diallo shows that the mentality of the NYPD has NOT changed. Amadou Diallo is very relevant to this discussion.

You could be right but let's wait for the investigation to close to make this conclusion.

Well that's good to hear. Most people that are quick to judge don't have the background that you and grab grass have.

Besides, during that time you were a cop they had stones, not guns. lol j/k sorry I couldn't resist. :D

...I merely read more than one newspaper article and I watched more than one news excerpt than probably all of you combined. Which is what most of you should have done before running your mouth off about it.

Given the source of your 'facts', I'm surprised you posted at all.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Dude read the newspapers. The officers said they saw the man had a gun.

Again, it's not what they say, it's what they can prove.

And you are right about one thing, I may be skeptical to a fault, but MY experience taught me that it's all about the hard evidence.

The "story" is nothing but words, and they change with time.

"Pictures and Props, Prove & Persuade" a judge and jury to believe the story.

MY WIFE can "tell me" the dog is out back laying eggs, but until I SEE it for MYSELF, I ain't starting an omelet! ;)

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

Again, it's not what they say, it's what they can prove.

And you are right about one thing, I may be skeptical to a fault, but MY experience taught me that it's all about the hard evidence.

The "story" is nothing but words, and they change with time.

"Pictures and Props, Prove & Persuade" a judge and jury to believe the story.

You couldn't be more right. However, the case is still open. Let's just wait till the investigation is completed to draw conclusions.

MY WIFE can "tell me" the dog is out back laying eggs, but until I SEE it for MYSELF, I ain't starting an omelet!

That's hilarious. When you see your dog crapping out eggs, I like mine over well.

Who the fuck shot you?

A member of the Saddle Tramps MC. I was affiliated with the Road Saints MC. This happened over 20 years ago when the clubs were fueding. I am no longer a member of any MC but still ride.

Man, you're a fuckin' survivor! Shit. Someone up there must really love you.

Naw, the guy was just a bad shot. Actually, it is not all that easy to hit something that is moving with a pistol. I was in a fist fight when the guy drew down on me and a bro of mine screamed gun. I saw the gun and ducked just as he pulled the trigger.

Now you done and lowered your chances of survival by Skydiving. Smart move!

Your chances of survival are constantly challanged no matter what you do. Be it skydiving, riding a motorcycle, working in a factory, driving a car on the freeway, taking a shower in a tub that has no non-slip, ect... a persons safety is constantly challanged whether you step outside your house or not. I enjoy the challange. What is going to happen, will, regardless of the precautions one may take. I guess this makes me a fatalist.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Clearly someone here has an issue with cops.

Not at all. There have been LEO's in the family. My nephew is a cop in the Kansas City area. I do have an issue with cops who step out of the boundaries that they are to operate within. The Dirty Harry mentality belongs in the movies, not the real world. Cops are to uphold the law and bring a suspect in to be tried and allowed to defend themselves. They are not to be judge, jury and executioners. I hope that my nephew or any other cop never finds themself in such a situation. I hope that all LEO's strive to learn something from this and any other such case.

My goodness, you've only been to NYC which is predominantly a business district and to Jamaica. Have you ever been to Browsville, Brooklyn? East New York? Upper west side of NYC? The South Bronx?

Been to all of those places. I did railroad inspection and have tied up the railcar in some of the worst neighborhoods imaginable. Seems that you never ended up in the ritzy part of town. One of my favorite areas was in Harlem. Kickass blues bars. Even though we would be about the only white guys in some of those clubs, no one ever gave us trouble. Also, I have been in every major U.S. city as well as every small town along the rails. Never had any trouble in black bars but have had a number of fights in white redneck taverans. Now, why is that?
Now this is kinda funny. One night we were in an Upper Eastside bar across the street from Dangerfields comedy club (saw Rodney doing his standup act that night). I stood up from my bar stool to go to the head when my wallet fell out of my back pocket. The wallet was on a chain. I stuck it back into my pocket and it fell out again. I looked down back there and saw that someone slit the side of the back pocket. I spoke up and it turned out that several other people at the bar also had their pocket slit. I guess that the slitter hoped to pick up wallets as people got up and walked away. Got to admit that the guy was good as I never felt a thing. NYC:S crazy place.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Read my reply to crab grass about that.

Who the heck is crab grass? :ph34r:

It's GRAB Grass, It's a skydiving reference from back when you had to be "Super Cool Under Pressure" to stay alive...:ph34r:;)

(no wonder the mail is always late!) :P

You need to lose the second Gr. I like that betterB|

Cop to physics/engineering professor. You have had quite the diverse life experience. What made you go from police work to academia? Not trying to pry but that is quite an interesting career change.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You need to lose the second Gr. I like that better

And you need to fill out your profile, until then I don't really give a s**t what you like! :P

Jeesh. Have sense of humor:P I'll fill it out when I'm damn good and ready. I have my reasons;)

Cop to physics/engineering professor. You have had quite the diverse life experience. What made you go from police work to academia? Not trying to pry but that is quite an interesting career change.

The cop thing was just filler. I always intended to be a teacher.

Ofc Kallend: "Stop! Or....I'll say 'stop!' again!!":P
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

My goodness, you've only been to NYC which is predominantly a business district and to Jamaica. Have you ever been to Browsville, Brooklyn? East New York? Upper west side of NYC? The South Bronx?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Been to all of those places
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm reading this stuff and I'm wondering why he even said that if his profile says he lives in Jersey.

CameraNewbie:
For some local news: Homes of friends have been raided and weed and a gun have been found (wow! you bust in on a bunch of 20 y/o's from a phone book and you'll find some weed in someone's house.)

I don't know what papers you're reading but I have yet to hear of a gun INSIDE the car (how'd it get out? was it like in the old western movies when you hold up a gun and Clint Eastwood shoots it RIGHT out of your hand?)

So they are looking for the '4th man in the beige coat who DID have a gun that rand down the street'.

That guy lawyered up. He wasn't in the car. He wasn't wearing a beige coat. His name and black parka with fur trim have been made public through his lawyer. Everyone who was outside at the time was running to avoid being shot. I damned sure wouldn't stand there.

One more thing--ABC, NBC and CBS all report that the cop that overheard the 'go get my shit (gun) remark', went outside and told his commander what he heard and retrieved his weapon and took it back inside the club. They both broke protocol. How can he get back in there with it ANYWAY when every club (except little old man bars) have pat-downs and metal wands at the door?

The cops inside were drinking.
If they KNEW anyone from the Bridal Party was arguing with a KNOWN drug dealer, why not just get the drug dealer and not some people out for a bachelor party?

Having a prior record does not mean cops can stop people and take target practice at them in a parking lot where they have no real idea IF a person has a prior record. Doesn't 'doing your time' or 'being acquitted' mean you are free now? You sure can't tell someone has priors when you're looking up some bimbos ass and drinking and trying to keep your eye on patrons.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Yeah! Most exciting thing that happened was catching a guy that had escaped from jail (truth be told, he just gave up, it wan't all that exciting). A few domestic violence calls and anti (Vietnam) war rallies, other than that, just traffic stuff. I've seen more excitement at cricket matches, really.

Yeah! Most exciting thing that happened was catching a guy that had escaped from jail (truth be told, he just gave up, it wan't all that exciting). A few domestic violence calls and anti (Vietnam) war rallies, other than that, just traffic stuff. I've seen more excitement at cricket matches, really.

Was Kallend the role model for "Jim" on Adam-12?

And you and others are all to ready to give the police a pass on anything like this

No, I am willing to wait to see what really happend..You want to string up the "man" on the first report. Normal for you.

yeah.... driving while black is a serious offence...an offence that seems to end up this way far too often

Really, get over yourself. You have no proof this was racist.

I would flatten the muthafuckas that were trying to shoot at me. I see guns... in a situation like that I am NOT waiting around.....

You are suck a badass, I am so impressed :S. Of course the guys with the guns have the same right to defend themselves IMO. And since the cops were the guys with the guns you just justified ALL parties actions.

Pretty simple it seems:

Guys acting loud and fighting start to try to leave. There is an accident and people with guns show up. The three freak out and try to run/fight back. The police open fire since they were being attacked.

The police may not be "right", but that does not mean they were looking to "kill a black person". They were attacked and they defended themselves.

Pretty simple it seems:

Guys acting loud and fighting start to try to leave. There is an accident and people with guns show up. The three freak out and try to run/fight back. The police open fire since they were being attacked.

The police may not be "right", but that does not mean they were looking to "kill a black person". They were attacked and they defended themselves.

It would be that simple if there had been a weapon found. Thus far it appears to exist only in the stories of the (intoxicated) cops. Until such weapon is found, the cops were not defending themselves.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

the cops were not defending themselves

so only the use of a firearm justifies defense of oneself? Last time I checked a vehicle is a weapon too when used in the right manner. IMO anytime ANYONE who has been drinking gets behind the wheel of a car they have just turned that car into a weapon. Once again everyone looking to fry the cops before knowing all the facts, it's good to see the assumption of innocence extended to those who seek to protect and serve.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

so only the use of a firearm justifies defense of oneself? Last time I checked a vehicle is a weapon too when used in the right manner. IMO anytime ANYONE who has been drinking gets behind the wheel of a car they have just turned that car into a weapon. Once again everyone looking to fry the cops before knowing all the facts, it's good to see the assumption of innocence extended to those who seek to protect and serve.

Someone posted previously in this thread that SOP for NYPD is there must be another weapon besides the vehicle to justify deadly force.

Besides, it hasn't been shown that the three gentlemen who were shot were trying to run anyone over. I haven't seen any evidence suggesting they knew the gunmen were cops, or that they intentionally tried to run any of the gunmen down.

So far the evidence indicates the cops were in the wrong.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!