akarunway

So. Is it about oil or NOT?

Were they referring to transactions involving large amounts of oil? If not then your point is not relevant to the current discussion.

You're wrong. FX transactions ALWAYS flow through Central Banks.

I take it you didn't read the article.

That may be the case, but if the article did not deal with Cuba buying Iraqi oil with Euros, it is irrelevant to a discussion about whether or not oil had anything to do with the US led invasion of Iraq.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

That may be the case,

Indeed.

but if the article did not deal with Cuba buying Iraqi oil with Euros,

The article had nothing to do with Cuba buying oil in Euros. The article had everything to do with Euro based transactions. If we can shut down "sugar transactions", we sure as hell can shut down oil transactions, if we want to.

it is irrelevant to a discussion

Is it your turn to learn something, yet?

about whether or not oil had anything to do with the US led invasion of Iraq.

If we can shut transactions down via Central Banks, why bother to invade?

BTW - did you read the article, yet?
We are all engines of karma

BTW - did you read the article, yet?

I'm waiting for your transcription, as you seem to think it is important and pertains to the current discussion about the war in Iraq, and whether or not oil influenced our decision to invade.

I'm waiting for your transcription,

What, you don't have access to WSJ? You want me to type the article in? Ain't happening. It's your turn to use your resources.

as you seem to think it is important

It is what it is.

and pertains to the current discussion about the war in Iraq,

We are not discussing the war in Iraq. We're discussing the free flow of oil in a free market system. And, I've even let you expand the discussion to Euro based oil trading. At this point in time, you and I are NOT discussing the war in Iraq.

and whether or not oil influenced our decision to invade.

As previously discussed, that was not a dominant factor in our decision to invade Iraq. We've already agreed to disagree on this point. Why invade when you can stop financial transactions at the Central Bank?

Is it your turn to learn something, yet?

Do you know what a Central Bank is?

I'm waiting for your transcription,

What, you don't have access to WSJ?

If you can convince me that the article is worth the two mile walk to get my copy of the WSJ, I might just go get it. Thus far you seem to be hijacking the thread with an article about Cuba and the effects of economic sanctions on that island nation.

If you can convince me that the article is worth the two mile walk to get my copy of the WSJ, I might just go get it.

You have to walk there?

Thus far you seem to be hijacking the thread with an article about Cuba and the effects of economic sanctions on that island nation.

You're not listening. I have gone to great lengths to make sure that my last few replies have specifically dealt with Euro based transactions on the world markets. It doesn't matter what the other side (oil, sugar, etc.) is. All FX based transactions in the Western world are cleared through Central Banks.

There is no reason for the US to take military action against a country that trades oil in Euros. Did you hear me?

I noticed you haven't made any reply to "Is it your turn to learn something?"

I noticed you haven't made any reply to "Is it your turn to learn something?"

Evidently, you haven't made any reply as to how you feel about CPA order #39 and the morality behind it (or about 90% of my last post). Should I take your silence as a concession to my being right?

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

So, I argue that #39 is morally wrong because it takes from the poor and gives to rich profit-takers, and you respond by telling me that profits are not revenue?

Takes from the poor? Yeah, I'm calling the bullshit card on that one. I've read the order, and I'm not seeing what you are.

s it moral for us to rewrite the rules so that all the money ends up in the hands of outside corporations who have done nothing to earn it?

Where the hell are you getting THIS from??? You might want to take a closer look at section 6, #1, where it states (emphasis mine):

"Foreign investment may take place with respect to all economic sectors in Iraq, except that foreign direct and indirect ownership of the natural resources sector involving primary extraction and initial processing remains prohibited. In addition, this Order does not apply to banks and insurance companies. "
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706