Andy9o8

Days off for religious holidays - how much is too much?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/07/21/school.holidays.ap/index.html

Exerpt:
Schools juggle holidays for Muslims, other faiths
Friday, July 21, 2006; Posted: 9:30 a.m. EDT (13:30 GMT)

ALBANY, New York (AP) -- Sikh, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu, and Christian -- each faith has its holy days. Schools across the country are asking how to respect them all.

Consider the University at Albany, which canceled classes on major Muslim holidays. Faculty wanted the move out of concern for Muslim students after the September 11 attacks. But then came the questions: What about Hindus? Buddhists?
School administrators across the country are rethinking their calendars as their student bodies become more diverse.

School districts say they can't take days off for purely religious reasons, but they can act if they think operations are affected by students or staff taking the day off.

That practice gives school holidays a certain regional flair. Some schools close for the beginning of hunting season. San Francisco schools have Cesar Chavez Day on March 30 to celebrate farmworkers, and Chicago schools have March 5 to honor Casimir Pulaski, a Polish count who helped the American side in the Revolutionary War.

Religion is more sensitive. Some districts mark "special observance days" when no test or exam can be scheduled. Other districts find inspiration in the business world -- each student gets a number of "floating" days to celebrate his or her own holidays with an excused absence.

"'Choose your own holiday' has become more popular," said Kathryn Lohre, assistant director of Harvard University's Pluralism Project, which studies diversity in religion. "It takes pressure off the school boards."

In my opinion school should carry on as normal. If the parents want to pull their kids out of school thats up to them.

I think this level of logic in the discussion will take all the fun out. Remember, schools think parents aren't smart enough to raise their own children.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In my opinion school should carry on as normal. If the parents want to pull their kids out of school thats up to them.

I think this level of logic in the discussion will take all the fun out. Remember, schools think parents aren't smart enough to raise their own children.

I don't think schools think any more than steel mills think or farms think. Elected school boards, however, think about and make school policy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ooooooh - burn!!!! nice one.:S

that's nearly as gratuitous as the posts "rehmwa" normally puts out

that guy really burns me

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

ooooooh - burn!!!! nice one.:S

that's nearly as gratuitous as the posts "rehmwa" normally puts out

that guy really burns me

Always a pleasure to be of service.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.