Petereffinpan

New rig/ downsizing

I recently bought a new rig with a spectre 210 in it that I have not yet jumped. I have been flying a borrowed rig that has a Manta 280 in it. During AFF I got down to a 230 (I got the 280 after AFF). I now have 46 jumps and I was told that I would probably be fine doing a high pull with the new 210 to feel flare capabilities and all of that good stuff. I was just wanting to hear advice on this subject. Should I downsize back to the 210 or do you think I would be fine? I know its mostly about how comfortable I am with the situation, but some feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you are heavy a 210 is pretty big and shouldn't wingload you more than 1.0. With 50 jumps you should be able to jump it fine with a high pull to practice flaring. That is assuming that you already have good canopy control and can consistently land accurately and on your feet with the one you are on now.

I got downsized from a 260 to a 210 right after AFF and landed fine. Just be prepared to slide or run out the landing if you time your flare wrong. I got a spectre 170 and was a little scared the first time I jumped it. I pulled high and practiced flaring. At 1.2 wingloading, my spectre doesnt approach all too fast. You will like yours and get the hang of it pretty quickly

Obviously ask your instructors and make sure they think you are ready to jump it.

Then again, you are in boulder and I am not sure what the elevation is at your dropzone, but that may be a factor to be considered

The only people who can really answer your question are people who have lots of experience and have seen you fly and land a parachute, and even some of them may recommend downsizing before you are really ready to do so safely.

A few things to think about -

At sea level, many very experienced people would recommend staying at or near 1.0 wingloading for your first 100 or so jumps. Add in several thousand feet of ground altitude and they recommend staying at or near .8 or .9. If your exit weight is over 210 and you jump in Colorado you might want to rethink downsizing at this time regardless of what people around you say.

How are your landings under the 230? Do you stand up every one exactly where you want to? Can you land it standing up in a light crosswind? Can you land it safely in a light downwind?

Will you stay current through the winter? If not, you may want to do your first few jumps back next season on a 230 and then downsize instead of downsizing now and then taking the winter off.

The only people who can really answer your question are people who have lots of experience and have seen you fly and land a parachute, and even some of them may recommend downsizing before you are really ready to do so safely.

A few things to think about -

At sea level, many very experienced people would recommend staying at or near 1.0 wingloading for your first 100 or so jumps. Add in several thousand feet of ground altitude and they recommend staying at or near .8 or .9. If your exit weight is over 210 and you jump in Colorado you might want to rethink downsizing at this time regardless of what people around you say.

How are your landings under the 230? Do you stand up every one exactly where you want to? Can you land it standing up in a light crosswind? Can you land it safely in a light downwind?

Will you stay current through the winter? If not, you may want to do your first few jumps back next season on a 230 and then downsize instead of downsizing now and then taking the winter off.

Once again, Lisa is spot on...
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…